Hi guys,

I have been learning a bit of Japanese for when I come over end of the year as I would like to be a polite tourist and communicate in Japanese and I love the challenge.

My question is about two different phrases, my Lonely Planet says one thing and I have also read a few other meanings, so please can you clarify what the below two phrases mean?

O-genki desu ka?

Hajime mashite?

I have little notes stuck all over my house so everyday I can memorise them he he

You see Hajime mashite in all the books but you dont hear anyone actually say it. All the people I met say Yoroshiku (for short) or yoroshuku onegai shimasu (in full).

It's something you say when you meet someone for the first time. Similar to nice to meet you in use, but not really similar in meaning.

genki desu ka? can be directly substituted to how are you? and can be used in the same situations.

"Hajime mashite" is really only used when you meet people for the frst time. So if you are introduced to someone, then you can say "Hajime Mashite". "Genki" is more like "How you doing?" and can be used daily. Maybe be a bit weird if you go around saying "genki desuka" to every Tom, Dick and Harry though, only say it to people you already know.

You would use hajime mashite and probably add yoroshiku onegaishimasu when meeting someone for the first time.

After that you would just use standard greetings like ohayo gozaimasu, konichiwa, konbanwa etc and genki des ka on subsequent meetings.

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
I use "genki desu ka" way too much I reckon. I need some variation on that when I meet someone or give them a call......

ãŠå…ƒæ°—ã‹ã„ã„。 wink