Not really general snow talk, I know, but this is where everyone hangs out, so...hopefully my SJ friends will forgive me.

Me and the wife are having Friday and Saturday night staying in Sapporo, a 3-day escape from Tokyo's brain-melting, soul-destroying version of Summer.

On Saturday night we are going to the Sapporo Brewery Ghengis Khan place (have been there once before, so we know what to expect) but we need a good rec for a restaurant in either Susukino or Sapporo Station area for Friday night. I was thinking a good izakaya or somewhere with drinkable wine.

Any recs from residents, or others with experience? I have done a web search but I suspect some local knowledge might be very valuable in this case.

Cheers

SdS

I went to an African restaurant when I was there. I liked it, however I had been trapped for years in a remote part of Japan with little other than the usual Japanese food so anything foreign was good.

Thanks everyone. I'm sure we'll have a wander around Susukino, like we did last time, but probably avoid the "snacks" with the wife around!

Thursday - Hanamaru sounds like a good idea, I'll persuading her to go there rather than the uni nabe place she found...

Cheers

SdS

Not too familiar with places with wine, but there's a good yakitori place at:

If you're familiar with the Tanuki-koji shopping arcade, walk West until the roof ends, then it's another two blocks on the South side. I forget the name - it's a darker one-story building with some matsu out front... Maru-something? Something-maru?

Ezorisu,

No complaints about the weather here at all. We followed Thursday's advice and went to Hanamaru at Stellar Place last night. Waited one hour, as warned, but was well worth it - great variety, good quality, big portion sushi and a remarkably small bill at the end of it, as we were stuffed.

Went to Okurayama Jump Stadium this morning and Moerenuma Koen after that. Great weather and good views.

We've been sitting under shade in Odori Koen having a couple of beers in the beer gardens this afternoon and will be at Sapporo Beer-En having tabehodai jingis-khan tonight.

I love Sapporo - whatever the season! What a great place this truly is.

Thanks to all of your suggestions, which have been spot on.

SdS