Originally Posted By: Go Native
I ski like a god, such things don't concern me highfive

Ebisu?

GN Skis like a fisherman?
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK...well...even *I* pack lighter than TEX!!

Schnee, having done the Perth to fluffy pow trip with a family of 6 a number of times now we have also encountered weight issues as we take boards, bindings, helmets, tools... But to be honest EVERY time we have taken too much stuff. Mainly for the kidlets as Mama is always worried they will need an extra midlayer etc. You don't need it, it can be done under the weight limit.

But having said that we found a way to NOT get hit by the over weight Qantas Nazi's at Narita (as were the first time coming home) and that is to get Qantas Club membership. I have never had a problem with JAL. Ever. Not to say that hasn't changed since January.

Helmets...well...mine is lacy and pretty and keeps my head warm, but it also has lessened the ouch factor when some n00b in front swings their ski's over their shoulder, and has repelled sticks and branches when I have failed to duck low enough.

We are not giving up our Qantas club extra 20kg allowance between Papa and I though as he plans to bring both his Gentem Stick AND his Aura this January. It's nice not having to worry about going over.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear

Helmets...well...mine is lacy and pretty and keeps my head warm, but it also has lessened the ouch factor when some n00b in front swings their ski's over their shoulder, and has repelled sticks and branches when I have failed to duck low enough.

That's only because helmets restrict your awareness of your surroundings MB! Free your dome from the foam! lol

Well I am ecstatic that I get 3 extra kilos flying with Qantas. We have flown Japan Airlines all the other years and though only allow 20kg.

I pack very lightly, take my ski boots as carry on luggage and wear my big jacket and under jacket onto the plane. We have never had a problem. Also invested in one of those hand held luggage weighers to double check the luggage before we leave.

Don't forget your connecting Sapporo flight from Toyko should be included as a international hence 20kg of luggage should be okay.

• 3 months later...
Originally Posted By: Mamabear
OK...well...even *I* pack lighter than TEX!!
Schnee, having done the Perth to fluffy pow trip with a family of 6 a number of times now we have also encountered weight issues as we take boards, bindings, helmets, tools... But to be honest EVERY time we have taken too much stuff. Mainly for the kidlets as Mama is always worried they will need an extra midlayer etc. You don't need it, it can be done under the weight limit.

But having said that we found a way to NOT get hit by the over weight Qantas Nazi's at Narita (as were the first time coming home) and that is to get Qantas Club membership. I have never had a problem with JAL. Ever. Not to say that hasn't changed since January.

We are not giving up our Qantas club extra 20kg allowance between Papa and I though as he plans to bring both his Gentem Stick AND his Aura this January. It's nice not having to worry about going over.

You get an extra 20kg!
Do you travel Business or First class, what does it cost?
Originally Posted By: cam99

You get an extra 20kg!
Do you travel Business or First class, what does it cost?

lol
If we traveled BUSINESS then we wouldn't be going multiple times in a year! wink Rather spend that extra money on another ski trip.

We travel economy.
The extra 10 kg per member comes with QANTAS Club membership.
Although if you are a Silver (?) Frequent Flyer you get the extra anyway - we got the QC membership when we were lowly Bronze members, but since having it we have traveled enough to earn Silver FF (we don't generally fly for work, so earning more than Silver FF for recreation means you are flying a lot and at the front end of the plane wink )

Papabear and I both have memberships so we get 20kg extra weight on most QANTAS or code share flights.

How much does it cost?
Can't recall - if you check out the QANTAS Website you should find that information out - it was more than the cost of excess baggage on one occasion that is for sure (up around $700 IIRC), but there were other benefits and multiple trips to consider.
Nowdays we just use our FF points to renew the membership each year, so it actually costs us nothing.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I travel economy as well

QC yearly membership is $805

There had been a post on lifehacker.com.au saying QC membership was having a free offer, but it turned out to still involve a $435 annual membership.

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2010/10/qantas-waiving-qantas-club-joining-fee/#more-370781

I don't think I will be traveling Qantas anyway. It looks like JAL has a good offer. Anyone have other suggestions?

According to this link

http://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/service/bag/sports2.html

You can take 2 bags one with 10kg of snowboard gear and another with 10 kg of stuff. So no advantage really the 20 kg limit still applies.

I have weighed my gear and its looking like it might be a close thing.

Snowboard bag wheelie 5.2 kg, that was a surprise.

snowboard 2.2 kg

boots 3.2 kg

Bindings 2.2 kg = 12.8 kg

I have Qantas FF Bronze membership but have never found much of a use for it, they don't seem to have flights where I want to go.