Sth America of course. Australia if you're desperate. South Africa if you're feeling really, really lucky.

I'd go for Sth America if it were me. Awesome mountains and women.

Chile or Argentina. Chilean resorts are easier to get to and you should be able to get flights to Santiago easily enough. I preferred the women in Argentina though wink

Im intermediate at best Mike so not looking for any back country etc. As I travel by myself Im looking for some fun and challenges on the mountain but also some social activities etc when Im not riding. Any suggesstions.

For Chile go to el colorado or valle nevado. Both real fun.

Argentina is cheaper and I think a better time overall. Santiago is a fun place, but I prefer Argentina.

Nothing compares to Niseko! razz

The high Chilean resorts out from Santiago have a semi arid climate and can receive some fairly nice, dry powder, something similar to Colorado I'd say. They also get plenty of bluebird days to enjoy it. Like Colorado these are pretty high altitude resorts ranging from around 2000 to over 3000m.

Further south they have more of a maritime climate more like west coast NZ on the Chilean side. Like there it snows more often but it can be more variable in quality and bluebird days less frequent. The resorts are much lower too. The Argentinian side has similar weather to central, southern NZ. Right down south it is a very cool maritime climate year round with massive glaciers coming off the mountains, some on the western side reaching right into the ocean. Not that many developed resorts right down south but it is an incredibly beautiful region.

For ease of access resorts like Valle Nevado and El Colorado are very close to Santiago.

In Argentina the biggest resort would be Las Lenas? It is similar to high altitude resorts in Chile. Cerro Catedral further south looks good but it's take some getting to. .

Thanks GN, great info. Could I commute to Valle Nevado and El Colorado each day as have a mate in Santiago I could stay with. But also craving a surf and have a lovely mate in Cabo, Mexico around that time so beach and beers it may well still be.

Sorry should have done my own research - El Colorado is about an hr out of the city and they run a bus each day smile This is starting to look really promising. Only hitch might be if I have to go to Hak to finalise my land purchase. Should know more about that at the end of the week.

Yep..... $7500 Aus for business with work only picking up about $4800 of it. And thats flying Auckland to Chile with LAN...Have been too spoilt these days and a 31hr trip in economy is unappealing.

$3K before I have even got there is a bit more then I want to spend if possible. In the back of mind that $3K would buy a lot for the house in Hakuba but a $5K trip to Chile is pretty cool too smile

Maybe it is NZ or Mexico.

If you are already looking at going through NZ to get to Chile as it`s Aug I would head straight to the Sth Island - ChCh - then either drive or fly to wanaka or qtown - I have hired a car from the 9th Aug pick up chchc and includes a free day pass for TC with every day of REntal - sweet deal worth just hiring for that - hit me up if you want some detsils - TC is pretty hard to beat on a good day - cheers

Portillo might be the go for a week too. Stay in the hostel and upgrade to the restaurant package.

Good social life for the single traveller.

Another option is San Martin de Los Andes for the resort of Chapelco, Argentina. Town is like a small Banff.

Originally Posted By: MitchPee
Still got a lot of snow in the peaks here. Going to hike a glacier tomorrow for my 18th month of consecutive skiing!

Long season indeed.
What a lifestyle. thumbsup

Thanks Mike will look into that. NZ is increasingly looking more likely though due to cost and my gf lives in Melb and could easily pop over for a week to join me. Preference thousg is still somewhere a long way from Aus as the short trips are affordable when I am home.

Pan Head you could fly to Christchurch NZ and work your way down the south island taking in a new ski feild every day. There is so many.But they are not very big.so it makes a good road trip. cheers