The kid is hot to take snowboarding lessons. I'm looking for options to get in a few lessons over the summer/fall in the Kanto/Kita-Kanto area. I know there are some plastic slopes available (like at Marunuma), but suspect an indoor snow park would be a more forgiving environment for a beginner child with two days of boarding experience, and 2-3 years skiing experience.

The best-looking option I have found so far from the net is Snova Shin-Yokohama; they seem to offer a wide range of teaching levels (including "how to fall safely"), and also seem to have a relatively large and well-maintained facility. At least as far as I can tell from their homepage anyway.

Anyway, has anybody ever been there, and have any impressions?

Does anybody have any other suggestions for other places in the Kanto, Kita-Kanto or southern Tohoku area?

Thanks in advance.

Snova in kawasaki is in an indoor snow park. Perhaps they have a few - went there a few years ago.

A little expensive for what it is, but perfect for some summer runs.

I thought the one in Yokohama closed down years ago!!

Although I haven't snowboarded on dry slope, I have skied. Although many people bag dry slope, it isn't that bad. I am by and far a better snowboarder than I am a skier, I haven't skied now for 4 years and I'd only done it maybe 5 times within the previous year and 3 of those times were on dry slope. The pics I saw that somebody posted last autumn of the slppe in Marunuma showed that it wasn't the old bristle brush lattice, but the mats that were alomst the same to the type that the Royal Marines train on at their base (when they aren't in the Arctic), where I first strapped on a pair of planks. (I'm not a former Marine). I really enjoyed those days and was able to get my parallel turns down before moving to the snow a few weeks later. I'd imagine that it'd be the same with snowboarding, and the runs would be longer allowing your kid to get more turns in before having to go back up the slope.

Thanks for the replies. The Shin-Yokohama one seems to be open as well as the Mizunokuchi one. Yes, it is a bit expensive. The main advantage is the lessons they have. Marunuma doesn't seem to have lessons in the summer, for example.

I also found there is a plastic slope in Mito, Aspire, which looks cheaper, though not by a lot. They do seem to have some kind of occasional lessons and camps going on, though. May be worth a call to see what the story is.

Actually the more I look, the more little places I find here and there...

I had a go in one of those places but thought it was expensive and disappointing. I'd rather wait and get stoked up and excited come November.

No. Actually, did visit and take a peek inside one indoor place, but it seems that over the summer they lose their artificial snow base on the novice slope area (seems they can't replenish in the summer, only maintain) and only have jumps and rails in usable condition. Not suitable for beginner boarder lessons, unfortunately.

A place in Ibaraki called "Kamui Ryugasaki Snowboard Park."

From the Joban, take the Ken-Ou Dou towards Narita, get off at

Ami Higashi, and it is a few kilometers down the road from there.

Small place, but pretty busy on a Saturday, at least. Took some

pictures -- perhaps will post them at some point.

kids had their first turns in of the summer. Iwatake has a summer skiing lift open.

Not great -but the kids had big smiles on their faces!

A couple of pics of Kamui Ryuugasaki Snowboard Park in Ibaraki, taken last month. This was just a fact-finding mission, didn't actually ski or slide. But it is so hard to tell what the place is really like from its web page, so in case anyone is curious, here are a couple of shots.

Outside:

Metabo%20Oyaji_96.JPG

Inside:

Metabo%20Oyaji_97.JPG

There were a couple of skiers using the place, too, but I don't seem to have caught them on camera.

Originally Posted By: SKI
Would love to see the running costs of a place like that.

Gotta wonder. Doesn't look like they invested in any high-tech insulation. But I guess they get enough people wanting to practice their kickers over the summer to keep it going.

Yes. Even so though a 'luxury' like that will surely be one of the things to get cut as people have less to spend.

Originally Posted By: echineko
By the way, are you really a metabo oyaji? friend

My doctor said I am "metabo-gimi." I asked for a second opinion, which my kid provided: "パパã§ã¶ï¼" The kid also declared that Papa is ã¸ãŸã£ã´ãƒ¼ at snowboarding, which is undeniably true, so... I guess the experts have spoken.

In that vein, I see that Papaya (of ã¾ã„ã†ï½žï¼ã€€Squad fame) seems to have dropped a few kilos. Guess he's out of a gig, eh?