The FOOTBALL Thread (2010-2011)

Originally Posted By: big-will
Shock! Rooney scores some goals in open play!
veryshocked

Playing against Richard Dunne must be the ultimate confidence booster! Wouldn't be surprised if Wayney can kick on from here though.
  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chelsea vs Liverpool shaping up to be very tasty

Quote:
Fernando Torres last night cranked up the stakes ahead of his Chelsea debut on Sunday by insisting: “I want to score against Liverpoolâ€.

Liverpool asked for the £50million marksman not to play in Sunday’s grudge match, the Spaniard’s first for his new club.

The request caused a lot of tension in the negotiations when the Double winners refused to even entertain the idea, setting up a fascinating reunion for Torres and his old team.

The striker said: “If I have the chance to play, I will do my best for Chelsea and hopefully I can score.â€

Torres has already alienated Liverpool fans by declaring himself delighted to have joined a team “at the top level†after quitting the club where he spent four years until Monday.

Now he has gone a step further by revealing he has wanted to play for Chelsea since last summer, calling into question his commitment to Liverpool over the last six months.

“I felt from last summer that I needed to do a step forward in my career and for my ambition as a footballer," he said. “I am joining a team that is at the top level, there is not another level after Chelsea.

“I am joining a team with big names like Terry, Lampard, Drogba and Anelka and I can be part of this great team.

“Also, I wanted to join because Chelsea always have shown a big respect for me. They really want me and it is important when you have the support of the people in the club, and the support of the fans, who always showed respect to me when I came to Stamford Bridge and at Anfield. Now I am very happy to be a Chelsea player.â€

Torres also reminded Liverpool that it was the club’s continual under-achivement that saw him lose his patience and bolt to London.

He said: “The Champions League is a big ambition and all the footballers want to play in it, it is a very important competition.

“But also Chelsea have the chance every season to win all the trophies that they play for, so when you have the chance to play in a team like this you cannot say no.â€Torres demonstrated his commitment to the cause of his new club yesterday when he declined an offer to fly up to attend last night’s game with Sunderland.

Although the striker is keen to meet his new team-mates, he is understood to be more concerned about making sure he is in the right physical shape for the Liverpool game.

Torres’ training regime was disrupted by the transfer saga - he worked on his own on Sunday and was not involved in Liverpool's sessions on Monday as the deal was hammered out.

So he asked to undergo a rigorous routine with the Chelsea junior players rather than cutting the day short to travel up to the north-east.

Manager Carlo Ancelotti now has arguably the most formidable stable of strikers in the Premier League, with Torres joining Didier Drogba, Nicolas Anelka and Salomon Kalou at Stamford Bridge.

Chelsea chief executive Ron Gourlay last night revealed the club were “over the moon†to have made such a sensational statement of intent, having captured Torres on a five-and-a-half year deal.

The length of the deal is identical to the one handed to £22million defender David Luiz, signed from Benfica on Monday night.

Gourlay said: “Carlo is over the moon. He did say we needed to bring a couple of players in, and I said six months ago that if we had to bring someone in then it would be a big signing.

“I’m sure this is great for the team and the morale, and great for the fans who have two major signings to look forward to at Stamford Bridge.

“I can’t wait to see them both in action, and we’re in fantastic shape bringing Fernando and David in.â€

Torres seems keen to burn any bridges

"I never kissed the Liverpool badge, says Chelsea's Fernando Torres"

Fernando Torres claims he made up his mind to leave Liverpool midway through the January window, more than a week before Chelsea's bid for him became known.

Torres was officially unveiled at his new club's Cobham training base on Friday afternoon after completing his record-breaking £50million move from Liverpool on transfer deadline day.

Chelsea saw a bid rejected for Torres four days before the end of the window but the striker had decided "10-12 days before the transfer window closed" that his future lay away from Anfield.

And he admitted he knew Chelsea would be his destination as soon as the clubs began talks.

"As soon as I knew that Liverpool and Chelsea were talking about that, I told them then that the decision was made and I would like them to talk seriously about the possibility," he said.

"I was the first one to go straight to the manager and all the people to tell them I wanted to leave."

Torres revealed upon signing for Chelsea that it was last summer when he began to feel he needed to move on, when his new club reportedly had another bid for him rejected.

More sensible to bring him on as a sub, less pressure.

Secretly I wouldn't mind if Skertel or greek-dude nobbles him for the season.

I seem to remember from his liverpool debut that he has a record of scoring on his debut.

yeah first half Newcastle were back to their crapness of the season they went down, 2nd half, Arsenal get a boy sent off and Newcastle bully them back to a draw....to be fair they also had a goal chopped off that should've stood, Best was played on by Rosicky