• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: RobBright
Any recommends for a beginner buyer then?

Definitely Rob....

I am guessing you want something for trail riding and nothing too extreme, maybe a few bumps and stuff?

Definitely check out an XC bike. If you want my opinion I say go to this page

http://www.bikes.com/main+en+01_101+NomSousCategorie.html?CATID=1&SCATID=2

and look at some of the XC bikes. I had a Rocky Mountain for years and they are great bikes. Awesome warranty on them and if anything ever goes wrong they will help you out. Personally I would put them way above any Trek bikes and most Canondale. Those cater to the larger retailer stores whose mission is to sort of sell sell sell not warranty warranty warranty.
Originally Posted By: panhead_pete
Originally Posted By: stemik
Go on a trail and it would probably break. Maybe ok for city riding but this is not a mountain bike.

Hey mate do you guys do a lot of riding?

Lots of riding here. You can always find someone to go with.

The local school has a MTB club so hopefully MTB will increase in the coming years.

Santa Cruz heckler is my ride. I will not buy in Japan too expensive! Most parts are marked up 2 to 3 times more than the standard US price. Jenson will ship a bike to Japan for just over 100 bucks. The warranties are great and if you order etc. etc. with your bike, you will find that you saved over 1000 dollars compared to the Japanese cost.

Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
yamakashi_56.jpg
Here are a few from last year. The Nagoya boys came up, and also several Hakuba locals. Great day of riding!

CB, that kei-truck shuttle rocks! That would be a blast (or quite possible a disaster) on the St. Louis Heights shuttle run back on O'ahu!

18kgs is a bit heavy, but not an issue if youre only going to commute.

I see its only got V-brakes, rather than discs, and no-name suspension.

Again, not really suitable for off-road work, but I gather the folding frame is important to you, and as long as you only commute, shouldnt be a problem. I'd question the strength of the hinge off-road too

Rob, I would pop down to your local bike or sports store - check out the bikes and see what you can afford.

For a entry level MTB bike-

front suspension

hydraulic disc brakes

shimano deore gears

i think you would probably be able to get a entry level bike for that Rob.

look at V brakes as well for that price.

Check out last years models as well.....sometimes the companies just change the color

Check out Specialized Hard Rocks...not a bad entry level bike.

is ebay etc popular there?

big market for second hand bikes where people choose a change in lifestyle, buy an expensive bike, ride it 10kms and then leave it in storage for 12 months before selling it secondhand.

some nice bargains to be had!

"big market for second hand bikes where people choose a change in lifestyle, buy an expensive bike, ride it 10kms and then leave it in storage for 12 months before selling it secondhand."

Cool. They ship international?

most secondhand on ebay US won't ship overseas, but you can get freight forwarders to do it.

check out http://sporting-goods.shop.ebay.com/Mountain-Bikes-/98083/i.html?LH_ItemCondition=2&Complete%2520Bike%252FFrame=Complete%2520Bike&_catref=1&_dmpt=Mountain_Bikes&_fln=1&_ssov=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282 for the bikes

you get the seller to package and deliver to here www.parcelsforwarding.com

ask them how much for postage to Japan, probably around USD100-150ish

but as Stemik says, go to a local shop first and suss out what style and size best suits you

I suppose nikcing one is outta the question as they have serial numbers linked to your ID.

Several times in Shinjuku, I saw 3 cops hassling a gaijin on a bike. 1 looking at the stem of the bike, 1 looking at his ID, the other on the phone or something. What a waste of time.

• 2 weeks later...