Played it once when I first came to Japan, because I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I couldn't see what the attraction of it was, just a waste of time and money is how I saw it.

Amazing though how some people can waste hours a day in these places!

What amazes me is that there appears to be little if any recognition that pachinko, like slot machines in the west, are bad for communities. I know they don't really consider it gambling but of course that's exactly what it is and it sucks huge amounts of money out of what are often struggling towns. Up here in Hokkaido often the only new and biggest building in town are these monlithic pachinko parlours. Everything else appears to near falling down but there stands this bright and shiny building where the locals go to throw away their money instead of putting back into the town and community and supporting local businesses. They are massive cash cows that just suck the lifeblood out whole towns in my opinion. But few if any Japanese I've ever spoken to seem to appreciate the harm these dens of iniquity casue.

don't see the fun. A mate of mines loves it, went him with him once to see what it was all about, he said that "...once I play it I'll be hooked, it's that much fun".......well that was 2 years ago and I haven't stepped back inside one. Just don't see what is fun about losing all your money (of which I do well enough exchanging mines for beer) watching ball bearings spin round a board.

I must admit I love gambling and we have regular poker nights here in Niseko of which I've won quite a few recently (up about Y30,000 over the last month!). Pachinko would definitely have to be up there as one of the most boring ways to lose money I can possibly think of.

Originally Posted By: snowhuntress
Pachinko Blows me away. Each year we venture in vowing that that will be the year we give it a go. After 4 years we are still trying to work it out and man up and give it a go lol

Best to keep it as a to-do and imagine it being interesting, sh.
(It wasn't).