26th April '10: Gunma Safari Park, Takasaki byakue dai kannon & Haruna Jinja

Yesterday we had a lovely day out in Gunma.

First up, Gunma Safari Park.

It was fun, though some of the money-grabbing was a bit much. You have to pay 300 yen to 'get in'. All that does really is get you about 400m or so to the main gate where you actually properly pay to get in! They then ask you if you want a radio commentary in English.

'No, thanks, we don't need a commentary at all'.

'But you have got to have it'.

'Oh, ok'.

'That'll be 500 yen!'

If you can't get in without a commentary, why is that not included in the price?!

The "amusement park" there is one of these many places here that somehow look like they are stuck back in a bygone era too.

Anyway, took a few pics of some good looking beasts.

muikabochi_2481.JPG

muikabochi_2480.JPG

muikabochi_2479.JPG

muikabochi_2478.JPG

muikabochi_2477.JPG

muikabochi_2476.jpg

Then we went back north towards Takasaki city and that big statue I had been eyeing up from the Shinkansen for a while. It's called Takasaki byakue dai kannon and surrounded by good looking gardens. It was very pretty. You can go up her right to near the top.

muikabochi_2483.jpg

muikabochi_2482.jpg

muikabochi_2484.JPG

muikabochi_2485.jpg

muikabochi_2486.jpg

muikabochi_2487.jpg

muikabochi_2488.jpg

muikabochi_2489.jpg

muikabochi_2490.jpg

Then it was off to Haruna lake which is nestled up high surrounded by some mountains. Before we got there, noticed a sign for Haruna jinja so we checked that out. I'm glad we did. It was a 15 minute walk from the entrance, and a bit of a climb as well - the jinja is hidden away surrounded by almost cliff-like natural walls. Very interesting location and lots of dudes with very big ears, stomachs and foreheads lining the walk up there. I'm sure there will be some meaning to that!

lol

muikabochi_2491.jpg

muikabochi_2492.jpg

muikabochi_2493.jpg

muikabochi_2494.jpg

muikabochi_2495.JPG

muikabochi_2496.jpg

muikabochi_2497.jpg

muikabochi_2498.jpg

Nics pics muika.

Good choices with the gardens and Haruna ko.

Thats definitely got some character that place, I really like it up there.

Never been to Takasaki.

There's always the Akagi mountain on the other side, I enjoyed that last year.

The commentary was what you might expect. High pitched childish-sounding screaming and over-excitement. We turned the volume down as much as we could and put it under some coats so we couldn't hear it at all!

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
The commentary was what you might expect. High pitched childish-sounding screaming and over-excitement. We turned the volume down as much as we could and put it under some coats so we couldn't hear it at all!

Good idea. I might be tempted to smash the thing up!