I noticed the talk of Ueno Zoo in the other hanami thread and thought it deserved its own thread.

I love animals and I used to love going to zoos, but it makes me want to shout when I see animals cooked up in tiny cages, unable to move anything like what they want to. Safari parks on the surface seem much better but I am not sure the story.

I remember once going to a place in Gunma I think it was. There was a tiger there was that clearly distressed and perhaps going out of it's mind - it was pacing up and down endlessly in this tiny space. I wanted to let the poor thing out.

I long ago decided to not support places that do that and encourage others too as well. I'm sure some places are much better than others and I'd be keen to hear where they are.

I don't like zoos myself and never go to them, well haven't since I was a kid. I don't find it all that interesting staring at an animal even if it is in a nice enclosure. Love seeing them in the wild though.

We went to Fuji Safari park last year around October / Novemebr I think it was and that was quite enjoyable as you get to see a lot of the animals roaming around freely and even come right up to your car as you are going around.

But I agree keeping animals in cages as not good, and certainly prefare to see them in there natural habitat.

The night safari in Singapore that we wnet to was really nice, as you get to see all the animals and nocternal animals wide awake that would normally be sleeping or lazy during the day. They again are able to freely roam around.

Originally Posted By: snowdude
W
But I agree keeping animals in cages as not good, and certainly prefare to see them in there natural habitat.

Unfortunately Snow dude, there's not a lot of natural habitat left for a lot of animals and zoos are the only future for them.
Did you know that there are a lot more tigers kept as domestic pets in the U.S. then there are in the wild?

Those crappy travelling zoos that do the inaka circuit here are pretty grim. Having said that, the cows that are kept for milk and meat and the chickens crammed into their sheds are grim too.

Poor animals.

You know I've been to a number of dairy farms up here and the cattle seem pretty happy. They are a very simple animal all in all. Give them plenty to eat and drink and a few buddies to hang out with and I think their happy enough.

I have been to a number of Zoo's, and I think that many of them today have made the transition from a location for display of exotic species to entertain the masses (as they began) to a location for conservation and breeding to ensure the continuation of species despite our best efforts as human beings to wipe them out!

I do not like to see Zoo's where the animals are in tiny cages - even though you get to see the animal. I much prefer Zoo's where they make a HUGE effort to mimic a natural environment for the animal. I know one of the Zoo's in a hotter climate actually installed cold rocks for one of the colder climate animals they were receiving (can't remember the story exactly now) - but the "rock" was chilled from beneath to provide temperature relief whenever the animal required.

I visited sea world, and while I enjoyed seeing the animals up close, I did not like to see them perform - no matter how impressive - to me it seemed quite unnatural. I would have preferred to see a pod of Dolphins spontaneously jumping, rather than doing it on demand.

I'd prefer to see national parks and conservation areas set aside from exploitation to preserve species rather than zoos but of course I understand this aint going to happen in the real world.

There are many national parks and conservation area's - and in a number of area's of the world they are passionately defended by locals as well as authority - but I think when people are hungry, impoverished and desperate - and there is a demand for the animal, part of the animal or parts of the animals habitat (black market or not) then the desire to earn and provide for the family will win over conservation.

So a combination of both is going to be necessary for the real world.

In the past photography and cinematography was such poor quality that the images captured did no justice to the animal ... real life was so much better. Today I think our children have the luxury of seeing such brilliant photographic and video images of animals in their natural habitats that Zoo's are obsolete in the educational process. Their role in preservation is much more important.

Originally Posted By: brit-gob
Those crappy travelling zoos that do the inaka circuit here are pretty grim.

One of those has visited Muikamachi a few times. I didn't go but even some kids from school said the animals lookd kawai-sou, so I don't want to imagine what it was like.

Slightly changing the tone of the conversation.

Gunma Safari Park are giving Niigata residents 50% off for the next few months so thinking about going there and checking out a few places nearby.

Anyone been?

Went a while back muikabochi.

Was ok, there was one small area 'the walk area' where there were a few souls caged up in cages that looked pretty small to me, but other than that I didn't see anything too disagreeable and the camels were very friendly.

Interesting discount policy there.

Chimelong zoo, the biggest in China, had invested 1 bil $ in the place. The safari park had all sorts of animals wondering around. We sat in the bus, but you can take your car along the route. Amazing smells and some of the less dangerous animals were within touching distance.

I've never seen so many whote tigers and pandas in one zoo.