I had one of the worst experience with the equipment rental company located at the ground floor of the Alpen Ridge. 2 years in a role they have spend hours trying to find my booking records. Finally they fixed up my friends with boards & boots a few minute later and find the binding broken at the toe strap up in the mountain. Then again, spend another 30 mins to have them exchange.

I swear, next year I will go to the rhythm snow sport opposite the Vale to rent equipment for my friends.

Maybe a little clarification is needed, did it actually take hours to find your booking, like literally over 2 hours? I'd be very suprised. Also, with the broken binding, how far could you have got before noticing it? The top of family? Hardly 'up in the mountains'.

Not saying that you are wrong to be upset, sounds like poor customer service, but it does sound like you are exaggerating a bit.

Originally Posted By: thursday
Also think you'll find Alpen, Kogen and Scot have very reliable rentals.

Maybe if you're Asian sized and don't mind skiing on skinny skis. Not a great range at these places really and not sized for big westerners.

A little clarification on the situation. We were staying at the Vale, so for our very lazy soul we thought the NBS is the closest place to pick up our rentals. The rental bookings for 4 persons was made through the Vale.

When we arrival at the front desk, none of my booking was in their computer & I have to run back to the room to pickup my booking sheet with the Vale to proof to NBS that the booking was made & fully paid for.

My 4 friends finally picked up the gear after I believes around 45mins. When we arrived at the top Ace Pair Lift #3 the binding broke off with one of my friend's & the exchange was made when we reached the bottom.

On the day of returning the equipments, they also made a mistake by saying 1 set of rental was booked for 1 day & the other 3 set was booked for 6 day.?? Finally a few words with the rental manager & again showing the booking sheet with Vale, we were clear.!!

Jimmer, you very correct. It is somthing about the Customer Service that made me not going back for more.!!

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Sounds like the big issue was that The Vale guys didn't confirm your booking with NBS.

Maybe is the Vale that got the booking all mixed up. Either way, the customer service at the NBS was bad too. When the staff started to question my friends, they sounds like we are stealing for equipment or something.
Originally Posted By: cableitoh
Sounds like the big issue was that The Vale guys didn't confirm your booking with NBS.

Maybe is the Vale that got the booking all mixed up. Either way, the customer service at the NBS was bad too. When the staff started to question my friends, they sounds like we are stealing for equipment or something.

Probably because they've had a lot of that this season, mostly from the Singaporean customers though.

Also it sounds like your friend broke his binding, which is easy to do and not really NBSs fault.

As has been said though, bottom line is you went away unhappy, which should have been dealt with by the staff.

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
It's easy to break your binding?? Are you serious! confused I think you have to work pretty hard at breaking your binding on the first run of the day!

I think the binding is wearing out at the buckle end. The spring inside the buckle did not hold the plastic strap in place, so the strap came loose when my friend was on a heel side edge.
Originally Posted By: Jimmer
Also it sounds like your friend broke his binding, which is easy to do and not really NBSs fault.

As has been said though, bottom line is you went away unhappy, which should have been dealt with by the staff.

Yeah, the main thing is that I went away unhappy.
Originally Posted By: cableitoh

Probably because they've had a lot of that this season, mostly from the Singaporean customers though.

I've seen a lot of Thai people this season.

Rental gear takes a lot of use and abuse. It gets used everyday some people takes good care of what they rented others don't.

Considering the use equipment gets and the binding broke the rental shop should of taken care of it. Customer satisfaction is most important.

yeah I agree.........trying to pin the brakeage on the customer so quickly after they got it is pretty shoddy. Regardless of whether they've had some dodgy customers from Singapore trying to chance it, if they are serious about being a top business they should've dealt with it better. Next time Cabletoh, take your business elsewhere

Nothing beats good customer service.

You can get poor product and still leave quite satisfied - as long as the service is appropriate.

As for bindings breaking ... heck we bought a pair of top end Burton bindings in Tokyo that broke on the high back on day one and the toe strap on day two - it happens. And there was no 'abuse' to the product going on with us!

Many many years ago when Papa and I were just strating out we rented (first an apartment, and then a house) - and the thing I hated the MOST about that was the rent inspections. The feeling that someone was coming into your life and judging you, and looking for fault. It was with GREAT RELIEF that we bought our first home.

I am a bit the same way with rental equipment. I would rather buy my own than be beholding to anyone.

Honestly though, it is very rare that something like bindings would break on the first day and I doubt that it had anything to do with the way you used them. There was certainly a defect with their product. I hope you kept them because I'm sure that Burton would replace something like that.

Anyway, if I rented something (anything) and it broke as soon as I started to use it, I would be well and truly pissed off. Not only would I complain but I would demand that the replacement was free of charge...