Just sat here watching the mens mogul qualifying on the Japanese tv.

Wow. Those guys go FAST. Looking at them I imagine myself at the top of the hill - and probably taking about 10 minutes to get down whilst swearing a lot.

Those knees bobbing up and down! I'm actually laughing watching them.

Mad.

i dig watching olympic moguls, but can't for the life of me image how it is fun.

whenever i encounter them on the hill i groan, curse, then groan again. i'm sure some people get off on them, but i have no idea why

I heard them talking about that...

The turns are marked on stuff like separation in the ski's and the upper body being stable or not with 'deductions' for every transgression.

The air marked similarly with specific deductions for imprecise body positions and landings. One of the things they were looking for was landing off centre from the actual jump - to the left or right of it.

It was fascinating listening to how they quantify it.

The judging on artistic competitions evolve, and what get's more points changes so I cannot comment on what goes now.

But, when we were doing it, Straight down the fall line. Any deviations would be considered avoiding, mistimed, loss of balance. Had to go down without the upper body moving sideways or up and down. I think the moguls and jumps are bigger now, it's hardcore! in my days if you can do a helicopter (360) , that was considered big. If you killed too much speed that was loss of points. I think the way we did it was to have a pro demo guy go straight down fast, and set down reference time and from that took off some seconds (I can't remember) and that became maximum time to finish before losing points.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
The turns are marked on stuff like separation in the ski's and the upper body being stable or not with 'deductions' for every transgression.

The air marked similarly with specific deductions for imprecise body positions and landings. One of the things they were looking for was landing off centre from the actual jump - to the left or right of it.

It was fascinating listening to how they quantify it.

I am not sure that there are "deductions" from the perfect score, however (I'm prepared to be proven wrong, but a quick google didn't turn up a precise definition).

Because of the differential in Degree of Difficulty (DD) in the various jumps, it would be more like diving where the jump is scored form 1-10 and then the multiplier if the DD is applied to the total. Otherwise, every judge has to know exactly what jump is being attempted (and the skier can change if the conditions aren't right) and the DD for that.

As I said, I'm happy to be proved wrong, but that just seems to make more sense to me.

Oh, and having been a competitive diver, I DO know the process, because the choice of dive can make a huge difference, as could the choice of jump in moguls.

I like moguls but it's a fine line between heaven and hell and often that line is the freezing point. Give me slushy moguls any day but icy moguls? Not for me. Actually the women were skiing on really nice slushy moguls but it looked a little colder for the men the next day.

With you there ger, though I'm not that much of a fan of moguls on any day. Those guys and gals bobbing down the mogul courses amaze me they make it looks easy. Icy sculpted moguls yikes that is awful. I was at Hakkaisan once where there are LOTS of moguls. It was icy as hell now a bit of softness anywhere. Nightmare.

I remember once I went 'the wrong way' at Nozawa and was confronted with that Schneider mogul course.

veryshocked

Was in a bad mood by the time I got down there!

I like watching them mogul dudes though. So fast!