Ok, I know it is too early to start the GW threads in earnest, since we have no idea yet how the snow conditions will be then. But I can't help dreaming ahead, and I think I have a slightly different request angle than the usual.

For background, we did a couple of days at Kagura last year at GW, and had a fine time. Snow conditions were shave ice, but plenty of it, and it was warm and sunny, so we were happy. So we are happy with late spring ski conditions.

What I am looking for this year is something close to a town, to facilitate easy bouncing back and forth between time on the slopes and time spent taking the dog for a stroll around town, say. For this purpose, something like Zao looks ideal: as far as I can tell from the yahoo! maps linked to on this site, the lifts come right down into town.

Other possibilities might be (just going by what I have found here):

Nozawa Onsen

Shiga Kogen (Okushiga, Yakebitaiyama, Hasuike areas?)

Hakuba Goryu (maybe?)

I'm guessing the snow will be most plentiful at Shiga Kogen (remember, we don't mind shave ice, as long as there is snow), not so clear from the aerial photos how much town there is close to the lifts.

Gassan and Okutadami Maruyama look good for the snow, but seem too remotely located, so probably not good for our purposes this time. Though I'd like to check them out some other time. Hokkaido is probably impractical to get to with a dog -- don't want to eat up two days taking the ferry. I'm thinking somewhere on Honshu, by car.

Any suggestions among the places I have listed? Any other great ideas I am missing? Please feel free to plug your favorite locale here.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Metabo

Lifts do indeed come down to village in Zao in two main areas as well and would perhaps make a fine choice, though I am not sure what GW snow is like there.

Lifts are less close in Nozawa and I would guess Zao be better snow wise too as it is higher.

Shiga Kogen probably a good choice too, though not much in terms of 'town'.

Okutadami Maruyama is very isolated, 40 minutes from Koide which isn't a particularly interesting town anyway so I would cross that off your list.

That's how far my experience goes! friend

Thanks, Muika and Bag.

Yeah, it wasn't clear how much 'town' there was near Shiga Kogen, mostly a few little pockets here and there seen from the aerial maps.

Perhaps tentatively, Zao is a good first choice, with Shiga Kogen runner-up if the snow situation is looking particularly dire. Though Jishipi's photos of Nozawa town certainly look inviting.

Open to further suggestions, though!

For Golden Week, we close the bottom half of the ski resort at Nozawa. Basically, if you look on the map, you can only really ski from Uenotaira up to Yamabiko. I'm not really sure how much of the other resorts is skiable during that time so I can't really make comparisons.

Again, this all depends on whether there's enough snow or not but it's usually a safe bet.

Originally Posted By: Metabo Oyaji
Thanks for the heads-up, Ryoma.

I think that was true of Zao last year, too, from one of ILoveZao's old threads.

By Golden Week there is practically no snow on the lower runs at Zao, but the top is fine. However, I am not sure how many runs are open at that time of year.

If you have a car (I do not think you do), I would strongly advise going to Gassan. It only has one lift but it has some hold-on (I do not know what they are called) lifts which means you can get pretty high up the mountain. If the weather is fine, it is really good fun for three or four hours.

The last two Golden Weeks in Yamagata have had atleast one perfect day of weather for skiing/snowboarding, so I hope we get lucky again this year.

Thanks everybody!

Beowulf, thanks for the info on Gassan. It is definitely on my list to get to some time.

stemik, is 47 walkable to from the town area (or hotel/pension area)?

ILoveZao, so I guess one would take the Sky Cable or ropeways up to and down from the skiable areas?