Ski trip to Japan planned for 1st week of April: advice sought!

Hi FOlks,

Please excuse my (probably) boring query, but I am wondering:

1. Which might be the best region for a family w/ 6yr old to ski at?

2. Keep in mind this will be the first week in April

3. We are VERY intermediate skiers

4. We will be visiting Kyoto just prior to heading off to the snow. Is there an appropriate area near Kyoto that might suit given the time of year?

Thanks very much for any advice!!!

You will get some feedback from those in the know about resorts on Honshu and what you can find near Kyoto. I have no clue.

But as a parent and a 3rd time visitor to Niseko I can recommend that as perfect for a family, perfect for a 6 yr old requiring lessons in English, and perfect for intermediate skiers.

I have also been there in April and found it lovely spring conditions, with the occasional snow day.

I am interested to hear the feedback for other area's (interested in exploring more of Japan myself smile )

I would say Hakuba is going to be your best location IF you are going to remain on Honshu. You won't be powder hounding but the snow should be fine and there are plenty of places to ski for all ages and levels.

First week of April can be very dodgy - in fact, a fair few resorts at town level in this area close end of March or that first week of April.

Places like Gala Yuzawa and Kagura open for longer, but the choices are fewer.

Will be interesting to see how the latter part of this season turns out.

You may want to compare costs for Nagano and Hokkaido.

Do you have a JR rail pass. That will get you back to Tokyo then out to Nagano (shinkansens) for Hakuba (bus) or MyokoKogen (train). Minimal cost.

Otherwise air passes from Kansai>Hokkaido>Tokyo are about $300 return each.

You will get spring skiing, possible rain, some warm blue sky days, lower slopes closing (but overall still worthwhile).

For early April with 6-year-old in tow, one possibility might be Gran Deco in Fukushima. Snow conditions should be fine, with some good, long gentle runs for the little one. Nearby Nekoma should also still have very good snow that time of year, but is probably too difficult for the kid.

Not very close to Kyoto, though. And not much else in the vicinity will be skiable then, if you seek variety.