Arrived from Minakami late in the evening the night before.

Woke up to this promising sight on the morning of Jan 16th:

Couldn't quite get the make and licence plate on that car..

cram400_21.JPG

Couldn't get official confirmation on how much snow had fallen, but one lap of Gondola 1 at Yakebitaiyama confirmed that plenty of knee to thigh deep pokets of powder both on and off piste were there for people's shredding pleasure.

In the trees of Ichinose

cram400_19.JPG

cram400_20.JPG

The sun and the blue sky make an appearance in the afternoon

cram400_17.JPG

cram400_18.JPG

Friends enjoying powder bliss at Terakoya

cram400_15.jpg

cram400_16.jpg

Absolutely stellar conditions for two days. Couldn't have asked for more in terms of snow quality and quantity.

Hoping for a few more rounds of these kinds of conditions this season as last weekend was too much fun!

Owari!

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
ラッキー thumbsup smile

lol
Me rickey too!
I really have to try and work less in winter so I can explore a few more ski areas in this great country!!

I'm so jealous Mada, thats exactly the conditions I had in SK over New year...they were awesome!! A couple of mates are planning a weekend trip there in a couple of weeks, I wasn't gonna go cos I'm hitting Niseko the weekend after.....might just go now though!! smile

Hi Mada, great report & pics groovy

Where was that first tree pic taken ?

oops just looked again & saw Ichinose tag

Rephrase - Where abouts in Ichinose was it taken?

Cheers

Sciclone, Roscoe, your chances for good snow conditions should be good.. The higher elevation of the terrain usually keeps conditions very favorable late into the season.

Tubby B, go to Shiga AND Niseko.. I did the same last seaosn.. no regrets there..

Snowjunky, use the the third pic from the bottom on the report as a treasure map.. the tree shot was taken in the trees to the top right part of the mountain in the photo.. take the quad lift located to the right side of Ichinose Family and look to your right as the lift makes its ascent.. i think you'll find what you're looking for there..

Enjoy, fellas!

I can recommend it Rob. This is the second year I'm going to SK and I decided to stay for longer this time.

Last year I had 5 days on the snow, and even then only did about 15-20 runs out of the 100 or so that are shown on my (rough) piste map. Even in late February of one of the worst couple of seasons, we still had stacks of powder.

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
its not a secret spot snowjunky. There are trails cutting through from Ichinose to Tani no mori. Some great riding to be had there and you don't need to venture out of bounds thumbsup

Tubby, from the photos it doesn't look like they're on cat tracks.

snowjunky, you don't need a treasure map - there's a helpful sign. I think the Japanese says "This is a great tree run, please enjoy!"

tripler_11.JPG

Great trees, only thing Shiga lacks is vertical.