Tubby, don't assume you're necessarily better off on the snow than the coke. I've seen many young lives ruined by a skiing addiction. Starts off with a cheeky little weekend here or there, next thing you know they're working seasons.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: tripler
Tubby, don't assume you're necessarily better off on the snow than the coke. I've seen many young lives ruined by a skiing addiction. Starts off with a cheeky little weekend here or there, next thing you know they're working seasons.

Certainly is addictive!

I've certainly been the passive recipient of some interesting drifting smoke the past few days ... but if I was gonna break the law and partake - it'd be in my own country where I know the legal system, and risks...

Ya coming to ride powder right...
No need for weed.
Originally Posted By: tripler

true mate, but at least the natural high is bigger than the drug induced one and its all within the limits of the law.....so no little holidays at the emporer's pleasure!! smile

just one more post on the weed! I was simply asking a question! which is what forums are for yes? I'm sure you are all having a pint or two or saki after a full day of hard riding. If there was more weed and less alcohol in the world, we would be living in a much less agressive world! (don't know too many stoners that are geting into fights, driving dangerously, getting home abusing family members etc etc

Ya coming to ride powder right...

No need for getting pissed and making an arse of yourself!

Get off you high horse, stoner! "My drug is better than your drug" talk won't get us anywhere. But there are more Japanese hippies than you'd imagine, so yes, there is some of what you're looking for going around. I've never smoked it in Japan, not because I'm worried about the penalties but rather because I personally don't find the effects very interesting. I much rather getting pissed and making an arse of myself. But I strongly support the right of anyone to indulge in whatever substance they like.

Well, to answer your question sunsetcoast, basically if you get caught with any quantity of marijuana in Japan, even 0.1 grams, you could probably expect to be arrested, spend 2-4 weeks locked up in a police cell with no access to legal help, and then be kicked out of the country and never be allowed to return. If you have a job here, I imagine you will likely be sacked the second your employer learns of your arrest. You will most likely also have to stump up a load of cash to help "negotiate" and hasten your release (you will want it to be as fast as possible as you can expect to be interrogated by the police for hour and hours on end without rest or sleep) and will have to find funds to pay for the flight out of Japan upon deportation.

Japan has a legal system comparable to many third world countries - I would suggest that you dont want to risk getting involved in it.

Gary, is this based on what's happened to acquaintances of yours or are you just regurgitating scary anti-drug stories the way so many expats seem to feel the need to and slap themselves on the back as upstanding citizens in the process? I don't think the Russian sumo wrestler or American baseball player did any jail time when they were caught with dope here, did they? We've got to go back 30 years to McCartney for the last high profile weed imprisonment (2 weeks). And he - or rather his wife - was carrying what police would consider a large amount, ie. 10 or so ounces.

Well, I wouldnt call myself the model citizen by any means! I didnt say that you would get jail time - most people convicted of small quantities of drugs in Japan for the first time are not given custodial sentences, however if you are arrested in Japan for a crime, the police can hold you for 72 hours which can be extended by a judge (and usually will be if the police request it) to 20 days (ok, 4 weeks was a litte inaccurate). During this time, you have pretty much no access to legal representation.

I remember a few years ago, a Nova teacher was arrested for a very small amount of cannabis and cocaine. They went through all the messages on his mobile phone and another six or so people were arrested for drugs offences based on arrangements made with the arrested guy through sms messages. I think the Nova teacher spent a terrible few weeks in Japan going through all the legal procedures before being deported, and yes, he was sacked from his job the minute Nova heard of his arrest.

Recently there was the high profile case of Noriko Sakai who was eventually convicted of possession of a very small quantity of speed or something similar (0.008 grams!) - I think she spent at least 9 days in police custody. Prosecutors tried to have her imprisoned for 18 months, but she was given a suspended sentence in the end.

The point is, getting arrested in Japan is not the same as getting arrested in most typical western countries and people getting caught with even small amounts of illegal substances can expect no slap-on-the-wrist. Im not trying to preach to people about what to do, just be aware that the legal system and rules here are quite strict and base your decisions around this.

I think you will consider yourself lucky to be deported as a Gaijin.

If you are Japanese, you are looking at 2 years and if considered selling, 7 years.

Friend of mine had spent about a million Yen, first making a couple of large donations for a good cause, second, hiring an Anti-Drugs lawer to speak for his case (wink, wink) , got suspended sentence but still spent a few weeks in custody. He had some interesting stories to tell ...

You will be treated as a criminal during custody, and expected to show some remorse and shame on your part. Japan is interesting because of the double-standards and different facets of society, but when law is concerened, One's moral is the issue. It's not like "yeah I broke the rule so I"ll pay OK? " One's shame comes into the equation.

I don't really understand or comprehend why people would want to take drugs, but I have never been in contact with them or know anyone who has.

My sheltered - but happy - life!

So what about the legal drugs which you can readily buy in certain shops in Roppongi. Synthetic "Ecstacy" analogues, various tryptamine derivatives which are highly hallucinogenic etc? Are these ok? - they are legal after all.

I meant in Japan. It's where I live.

My English is not good enough perhaps to explain, but I am simply not interested! That is all I was saying. Is it so hard to understand and accept?

I don't even understand the meaning of 'Synthetic "Ecstacy" analogues, various tryptamine derivatives which are highly hallucinogenic etc?'. lol

It is a healthy to question those in authority, especially law.

It is important to do so, to keep it practical for people and understand its issues.

The law of the land may say one thing, but if you go by the Bible, God has given people to take what's on the land to consume -

I think there's something wrong when people get criminalized about something you eat or smoke

mmmm. does that include Whales? No seafood in the middle of the desert.

hijack

Originally Posted By: Gary
So what about the legal drugs which you can readily buy in certain shops in Roppongi. Synthetic "Ecstacy" analogues, various tryptamine derivatives which are highly hallucinogenic etc? Are these ok? - they are legal after all.

is that trade still going strong? I thought they made most of them illegal a few years ago. But before then it was one of the great ironies of Japan that it had a reputation for being very tough on weed but at the same time all the so-called "designer drugs" that had been outlawed in the US long ago were openly on sale in Tokyo along with magic mushrooms, mescaline cacti and DMT.

You could definately get this stuff 4-5 years ago, perhaps the law has changed since then. Ilovezao - I respect your decision not to get involved in illegal drugs, but I also think it is intelligent to ask questions about the laws and attitudes people have towards things such as legal and illegal drugs. Dont you think there are some double standards there?

Originally Posted By: ILoveZao
My English is not good enough perhaps to explain, but I am simply not interested! That is all I was saying. Is it so hard to understand and accept?
I don't even understand the meaning of 'Synthetic "Ecstacy" analogues, various tryptamine derivatives which are highly hallucinogenic etc?'. lol

Your english seems very good to me, ILoveZao; I thought it was your native tongue.

Analogue in a drug molecule context means changing the order of its components to create a new molecule with the same psychotropic effects. In a ski context that would be like holding your right-hand pole in your left hand and vice-versa and finding you're able to ski just as well as the other way round. Hope that helped.

Basically, you could buy some legal drugs in Tokyo which are as strong in there effects as their illegal equivalents, as well as being equally if not more dangerous.

Ilovezao - people take drugs - legal or otherwise - basically for similar reasons to those that drink alcohol or smoke. You might think that people are mad for taking illegal drugs, but then I think people are a bit mad for smoking - addicted to a drug terrible for your health and it doesnt even make you feel good!! Im sure my friend thinks Im mad for drinking so much beer all the time - he doesnt drink, smoke or even drink coffee, but then again I think he's mad for going to church all the time!!!