I have a dilemma.

I love my snowboard (need new bindings but love the board).. I have a K2 Luna with K2 Charm bindings. Very nice ride, maneuverable, plenty of flexibility. I wouldn't want to ride anything else in Aus.

But my boys are really pushing me to buy a board better suited to powder for Japan. I don't have a problem with buying a new board, but I am worried I will get the wrong one.

My Luna was bought in Jindabyne, with advice from the sales guy. He sold me the board 'short' [chin height] because I was a deadset beginner, and it gave me more control early. And I think it was the absolute right option.

2 yrs ago I did find myself running out of steam on flatter spots on the groomers, but I was happy with my board at the time.

I am looking around and keep coming back to loving the LUNA! I am considering going up a size or two in the same board, or getting the K2 Airdu (a flatline board). Whatever - something that comes to my nose height.

Only thing that worries me is that I will pine for my short K2 Luna confused

With all this lovely fresh stuff falling a longer board is looking a necessity... WHAT TO DO!?

? Buy a new board.

? Bring my old board.

? Do both and suck up the excess baggage charges.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would definitely check out the Salomon Lark if I were you. Reallllly sick board and it will do everything the Luna will, but it is a bit rockered so it will float much better.

I'm gonna side with the kiddos, just tell yourself you deserve a new board MB, makes it a lot easier to buy. You probably do deserve it anyway.

Get the longer board for Jap pow, keep the luna for Aus. (the longer board would only get destroyed by death nuggets in Australia anyway)

If you were going to stick with the K2's, I'd look at the cinch bindings (go for the top of the range though). We used them last time at Shiga Kogen and they were excellent for getting off the lift and down the hill in a hurry... you can skate off the lift and strap up while you are going along..

My suggestion is to get a tapered board. I recently bought a Burton Malolo for deep conditions like those in Jap. Tapered board will mean you can even downsize from your traditional board length. I.e. I usually ride a Rome Anthem 156(didnt like my Sapient PNB2 158 last year) which is stiff and now bought a Malolo 154. Tapered board means you get additional float due to larger nose size and tapered shape.

Cant wait to hit it with my new board

Oh I definitely deserve a new one wink

Thanks for all of the suggestions - I shall check them all out. I am not 'deadset' to stick to K2, but I have been SO happy with my current board that I sorta though 'why fix something that aint broke..'

I rode one of my son's boards at Thredbo and Perisher (because I lent a friend mine) and it was a stiff mens Burton board that came to my eyebrows in height - great float in the powder stashes during a blizzard, but too much like a fight to turn on the groomers. It made me worry that I would choose badly when buying a longer board for Japan.

As for the K2 Cinch Bindings - I have been looking at them very closely and am almost decided that that is the right way to go. My only concern is that the mens have 3 models, and it is clear that the CTX is the top of the range. That is great. But the ladies bindings have 2 models - clearly the Tryst is marketed as the 'entry level' cinch binding for women, but I am not sure that the Vette is the same quality as the CTX for men. That is my only concern (and finding them in Ochanomizu).

MitchPee

I checked out out the Salomon website - the Lark is a fully cambered board - no rocker. Although being tapered will be good for powder. The only powder-rockered women's board Salomon offer is the Sick Stick. Had any feedback on the Sick Stick?

MamaB,

just one more opinion to confuse you, but i don't think there is any need to buy a powder board.

Can you justify the cost and weight of carrying another board overseas to how many days you will actually use it? What if you go and there is no new snow?

The only people i know that actually have powder boards are full-time ski bums, and not even all of them find it neccassary to get one.

In your position, my advice would be to rent a pow board (or longer board) on deeper days and try it out. Some places both in Hakuba and Niseko rent them out.

As for losing speed on the flats, there are two reasons for that.

Its either wax or your riding. Not the board.

Mamabear,

When in doubt, DEMO.

There is no substitute for actually trying the plank(s).

I think in Niseko there will be a few places where you could at least rent some similar pow boards.

Good luck,

Thanks for the feedback Oyuki.

Yeah I do hear you about justifying a new board and indeed a powder specific board - which is why I was probably leaning more towards a slightly longer all mountain board than I already have (which is a bit short by most peoples standards - it's a 146 - and I am 5ft6 and no lightweight.)

The weight of carrying a 2nd board oversea's is an issue, although we do have the option of leaving powder boards in Niseko available to us, instead of bringing it back to Aus, where it is unlikely to be ridden. We are going to Hakuba in March (I think) and if I left it in Niseko I probably wouldn't go up and get it, which would mean riding my Luna in Hakuba - but it would only be for a few days. Niseko is 21 days.

What if we go and there is no new snow?! I think I would cry!! We will be in Niseko from the 26th of December to the 16th of January - if there is no deep fresh powder in that 21 days I will be one very sad little bunny!

I have considered renting though ...

As for the loss of speed on flats. My riding would definitely have been at fault 2 years ago. I don't particularly like going too fast, and sometimes to make it across certain sections ya needa the speed! wink

I learnt to bomb it in Zermatt in January - it was either that or unclip and walk uphill. [Although interestingly I hired in Zermatt as it was too hard to lug all 6 boards across Europe on the trains - and I hired a board a few inches longer than my Luna] Hopefully I will ride better and get more out of our time in Niseko this trip. Wax wise - the board was re waxed at Bontac once a week - so it should have been OK.

confused lots to consider.

Hey BM - enjoying Niseko?

One of our travel companions recommended Malolo as well.

ARGHHH!!! so much to consider!

What'll probably happen is my head will explode - I will take the Luna and just ride that lol

Dyna,

I would love to Demo. How cool would it be if we lived in a big snow resort and I could check out ALL the different company's boards on the actual hill before making a choice. Ahhhh... sheer bliss! dance

Mamabear,

The only way that I did that was to go to a resort in the US, specifically for the reason of renting demos.

Unfortunately, most of the ski shops are in Kanda (Tokyo) although there are a few more progressive shops in Niseko and Hakuba nowadays. Still, nothing on hill unless sponsored by manufacturer or large ski shop, and those are only one day events.

The best way to demo...grab a board in the morning, then switch in the afternoon, repeat as necessary...

I demoed about 3 skis while I was getting my boot fitting work done. Ended up with a fantastic pair of skis. Just too bad that there isn't as much good intel on snowboards as there is on two planks.

All the best,

Hi, Mamabear. Choosing a board is exciting and bloody confusing isn't it?

Whatever you chose I reckon you will get a lot more out from at least 151 cm. My missus is your height and weighs about 60 kg and she rides 151. I reckon you can go 154 if you want to. I'm riding 157

As to Salomon boards, they are really made well. You have those annoying skiers hitting your board waiting at the lift and the rubber top edge will hold (no top sheet damage) Mine is a zeolite sintered base and it's fast.

The Sick Stick has a sintered base with a pow rocker (I like the idea )and I reckon it will be a good ride. It says it's twin tip but it sounds more like a directional twin to me, and I would even set it back a hole (your Luna is 3/4 in set back) if you aren't riding switch.

Not sure about the K2 cinch but. My choice will be durability. Aluminium frame. If I had access to Union Bindings, that will be my choice. The new Rome looks good, I personally would like a Ride SPI.

I have a Drake Czar and it's holding up well.

Get one. You can afford it. Get a pow orientated All Mountain / Freeride board.

MB, we had an epic day yesterday... did everything I wanted to do for the whole trip in the first few hours of being here. Waist deep powder just off piste. Had to set the bindings all the way back on the Fish (first time I've ever done that!)

Good luck on the board choice. I don't know too much about the new binding system that Burton has going but all the new boards have the EST system. After having a close look at my mates board yesterday I was quite impressed.

Costwise I was just having a think about that Jynxx - and my Luna cost me about $600 Aussie I think, and I have ridden her more than 70 days (probably closer to 80) - so I am well below $10 a day cost in owning her now. WAY better than hiring! thumbsup

Glad I did some rough maths on that - feeling pretty happy with that investment! biggrin

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
MB, we had an epic day yesterday... did everything I wanted to do for the whole trip in the first few hours of being here. Waist deep powder just off piste. Had to set the bindings all the way back on the Fish (first time I've ever done that!)

Good luck on the board choice. I don't know too much about the new binding system that Burton has going but all the new boards have the EST system. After having a close look at my mates board yesterday I was quite impressed.

That is awesome! The webcams look magic! I just can't wait to get out there! I wasn't good enough to hit Strawberry Fields, and took out a tree in Blueberry's last time - so I am REALLY looking forward to stretching this year - so good to hear the conditions are so epic smile Have a ball! thumbsup

That Burton system will be getting a run in our family as my 16yr old has his heart set on the new Burton EST system. He is a convert for sure. Papa remains unconvinced. Very exciting times indeed! But I suppose the bottom line will be what we find when we hit the stores in a couple of days. wink

When we were in Jimbocho at the start of the year, London Cheap had a few K2 boards from previous seasons as well as cinch bindings... We didn't want to buy them, so it was funny when we rocked up to hire at Shiga Kogen and they had them anyway...

If you go to London Cheap/Kanda Sports, they often have combo sets (buy any of this range of boards and this range of bindings for Y1xxxx. I think I could have gotten the combo I rode for about A$300 with last years terrible exchange rate.

As for the EST/ICS system.. I'm going to find out myself, after treating myself to my first ever board and bindings... Custom ICS and Cartel EST's. The guy at my LBS said that the ICS makes a heap of difference to adjustable settings. He wasn't convinced by all the marketing hype but was blown away when he went and trialled it at Falls this year.

LOL Sciclone!

I keep having to remind myself that it is not Aus. - We will be in JAPAN.

It seems it is the same with Ice Skates - hire them in Europe and you get decent skates, just a hire pair ... but hire them in Aus and they are torture devices. We had no trouble with our hire boards in Switzerland either - but the rubbish the boy and Papa have had to ride passed off as a 'demo' hire board over here really impacted the trip. I suppose it was less the board and more the bindings coming loose and unclipping - to the point of needing to whip out the tool at the lift EVERY time. That kind of experience makes you wary of hiring at all.

When will you get the chance to try out your new board?

Don't be a sook, Mama!

Go get a new one! Try them out while you're over in the Japow place and then get the best one. Call it Christmas pressie to you, or whatever!

Young once, is all you are!

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
MitchPee
I checked out out the Salomon website - the Lark is a fully cambered board - no rocker. Although being tapered will be good for powder. The only powder-rockered women's board Salomon offer is the Sick Stick. Had any feedback on the Sick Stick?

Woops I thought it had a little early rise to it. I have heard the sick stick is really really fun and playful in powder. Not sure if it will do the all mountain stuff you want it to though. Groomers will be a bit of a challenge.