So I don't want to get into detail, but how do you tell someone the worst possible news they could ever hear in their life?

Has anyone ever had to tell someone something so overwhelmingly difficult they can't even look at the person without feeling sick? Anything to make it easier?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my thoughts also Captain Stag.

Don't do it over the phone. And don't preface it with "everything is/will be ok, but..." My mother did that to me, and before she even told me what was up I was in tears. Her voice held the exact opposite message!

I'M sorry to hear you have such sad news to tell. eyes

Depends on what you think the worst possible news of their life is?

Just sit them down, don't sugar coat it, but if gruesome, don't give too much detail unless they ask. Don't patronize them with silly language or cliches. Be prepared for unrestrained reactions. And don't make anything up - make sure it's the truth, because otherwise if you even make the slightest thing up, it will make the resultant situation a lot worse.

Originally Posted By: Captain Stag
shit sounds bad....

try and tell them when they are at home so they dont have to try and drive or go through a public area to get home.

I agree with CS and everyone else - Say what needs to be said and be there for that person whether it is sit there in complete silence or a shoulder to cry on or arms to hug.

So sorry to hear MP our thoughts are with you and your friend.
Originally Posted By: thursday
news broken yet? What was the reaction?

News broken, not by me, but reaction not good. Guess you just have to make the best of what you have and that's all that I could tell him.

Take a second to realize what you've got guys. Life is very precious. Especially good life.
Sorry Mitch. Sorry for having a laugh.

But.....

Any chance of a looksie?

It's fine.

One of my friends has a serious illness and is probably not going to make it another year. He didn't want to hear the test results from the doctor so his parents had to tell him, which is the hardest thing you will ever have to tell anyone and I didn't want his parents to break the news. Hence the reason I made this thread.
Originally Posted By: SantaCruz
Sorry to here that MitchPee.
Let's def meet up for a drink next week. Are your PMs working?

I'm down...my pm's aren't working for some reason but I will be back in UT the 28th and I think you said you will be there Jan 2?
Originally Posted By: SantaCruz
I fly in Sat night and fly back on the 2nd.
Ping one of the admins on here to get your PMs working and I'll send you my email addy.

Hope you have a good Christmas!

Just in case they don't get working, my cell phone is 603-312-6959 just give me a ring anytime.
Originally Posted By: RobBright
Not the best idea to put your number on a public forum. wink

If someone wants to abuse my cell phone number via public forum on this site then all the power to them. You've got to either have A). No life or B). No friends
Mitch, give your friend a real good send off. Party. Not the morbid stuff.

We both hate the sad type funerals and stuff, he's coming out to UT for spring break with me and we are going to go to Vegas and San Diego, California. I'm just going to cruise with him for a week and party all night/surf all day. Should be fun and try to forget about his illness.

Remember to treat him as you would before you got the terrible news. Don't now treat him like he is fragile (even if he is) make every day a day for him to remember.

I recently went to a funeral and made the decision there and then and have told all my family. I want all my friends to stand up and remember one good or fun thing about me, Everyone is to wear something bright NO BLACK. Definately DO NOT PLAY Wing beneath my wings perhaps Don't worry Be Happy. Please celebrate my life, don't all leave crying - leave happy.

I will not be buried I will have my ashes scattered over my favourite areas.