What are they worth?

Seems that the new govt here are having big problems with their sums and quite a few of their manifesto promises either aint going to happen like they said they would or just ain't going to happen at all.

On the news today about an upper income limit being put on as a condition for receiving those child benefits they promised.

Oh what a surprise. Call me cynical.

Politicians are just as bad as each other. When not in power they promise the earth but when they get into power they renege. What I find laughable is that when party change happens in government, the roles get reversed. The ousted party starts to spout similar rhetoric as the winning party (previous to actual winning) and the new government trots out the same lame excuses as the previous ousted government. Then they sit around in parliament and joke around slagging each other!!

Quote:
Japanese Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama has apologised after two former aides were charged with violating the laws on political funding.

Prosecutors indicted the aides earlier on Thursday for misreporting millions of dollars of donations.

Analysts say the indictments are a big embarrassment for Mr Hatoyama's new government, which took power in August.

The prime minister said he felt "a deep responsibility" for what happened, but added that he would not resign.

here we go!
  • 4 weeks later...
Quote:
Prosecutors in Japan are questioning one of its most powerful politicians over an alleged funding scandal.

Ichiro Ozawa is considered a kingmaker in the ruling Democratic Party and is known in Japan as the "Shadow Shogun".

Police are investigating whether Mr Ozawa took bribes from construction firms to invest in property.

So, do people think he did?

So, explain to me how it is possible to work at more than 100%.

When I was at school, 100 percent was the MAXIMUM that could be achieved. I am amazed at the number of sports persons who give 110%! If they are giving more than is possible, how is that possible?

Annoys me no end does that!

Originally Posted By: JA

When I was at school, 100 percent was the MAXIMUM that could be achieved. I am amazed at the number of sports persons who give 110%! If they are giving more than is possible, how is that possible?

didn't you read my post?? Japanese "Ganbaru" like no one on earth and so produce super human efforts that increase the maximum output by an extra 10%....they truly are an amazing race of people
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
Originally Posted By: JA

didn't you read my post?? Japanese "Ganbaru" like no one on earth and so produce super human efforts that increase the maximum output by an extra 10%....they truly are an amazing race of people

Haha....Yep, simple math.....Ganbaru + Shoganai = 110%

I dont know what the tv show I was watching the other night was, but it had the top 10 things Japanese are pissed off. Number 2 was foreigners with PR would be allowed to vote in local erections here. That would allow hundreds of thousands of Koreans (FINALLY) some voice in their home country, as well as the rest of us here too. I dont have PR bc I havent applied for it, but will next year when my visa is up for renewal. I pay taxes here and have for over a decade. Whats wrong with foreigners having PR voting?

They worried that, despite that foreigner smake up only 2% or so of Jp population, we will start our own party and take over japan, forcing jps to pay 60% tax and foriegners pay none while taking all jps land and firstborn.

Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
I dont know what the tv show I was watching the other night was, but it had the top 10 things Japanese are pissed off. Number 2 was foreigners with PR would be allowed to vote in local erections here. That would allow hundreds of thousands of Koreans (FINALLY) some voice in their home country, as well as the rest of us here too. I dont have PR bc I havent applied for it, but will next year when my visa is up for renewal. I pay taxes here and have for over a decade. Whats wrong with foreigners having PR voting?

Bit silly no? They occupied, transplanted and kidnapped them and now fear them? Rather silly.

What is the number one thing? I'll have a guess... probably the red n white show at the New Year. Or the ineptness of the whole Japan adminstration to bring a country on the brink to a position a few millimeters from the brink.

I love the snow.

>Bit silly no? They occupied, transplanted and kidnapped them and now fear them? Rather silly.

I find it utterly disgusting. Most of the Koreans here have/had ancestors who were (forcibly) brought to Japan, have never lived in Korean, nor can they speak Korean. They are, for all accounts, Japanese; yet the government doesnt recognize them really makes me sick.

>What is the number one thing? I'll have a guess... probably the red n white show at the New Year.

lol

I dont remember as I was cooking and in and out of the living room so not paying much attention.

Well, I have PR status and I don't think we deserve to vote. Ya, gotta take that last step for the "privilege". That's pretty much the norm everywhere else.

Edit...I do agree with the special PR status Koreans getting a little leeway. I believe the debate is about these special PR's.

I think the debate really is why the Japanese governemnt doesn't recognise these people as bona fide Japanese citizens? They are not Korean....if they were born here, brought up here then they are japanese. Its about time that Japan's policy towards "foreigners" came out of the stone age.

In response to PR people like ourselves, you can't take the next step because the government won't let you become a Japanese citizen.