Went over to IKEA today. They had turkey drumstick and chips. Must be their Christmas menu. Well, the drumsticks were flying off the grill and every one I saw was picked to the bone. The drumstick is one of the roughest parts of a turkey. Guess they liked it.

And with all those drumsticks, what happens to the rest of the bird?

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thumbsup Fun present Jynxx.

Had a Chrissy party here today and we played the dirty santa game - love that! Everyone brings a CHEAP present (we make it a $5 limit) wrapped and sticks it in a box. You each draw a number and take your turn to open a gift.

When you open you hold aloft, tell what it is and tell the group if you shall keep it or swap it. If you choose to swap it you can choose any of the opened gifts - and force the other person to swap with you. Loads of fun - takes ages to play and costs not much. Better than buying gifts for everyone!

ha ha never thought of it like that Rob but it is a bit that way ... except it pokes fun at that whole thing really. You see in the most part people don't care whether they go home with a gift or not - they are each only worth $5...but the lobbying that goes on is incredible!

It is fun shopping for the gift - trying to find something unique, funny, or awesome for just $5. Then it is fun playing the game.

Kids are hard...they can get a bit ticked off when they lose the silly grabby hand toy and get given a set of pink earrings (happened today to a 10yr old boy who is verging on Apsergers - his Mum controlled his tantrum REALLY well! I was impressed). But it really does teach them not to take things seriously - not to get caught up in the material nature of the gift, but to enjoy the process.

Bizarrely the most desired items are not always the ones you would expect. Today it was a toss up between the grabby hand toy (which all the kids wanted, and all the men wanted to grab at their partners arses with! Doh!) and a pooping reindeer (the poop was jellybeans). Surprisingly a very very nice bar of soap (bet it was worth more than $5) did not get fought for at all - of all the 'gifts' if I was given the assortment to choose from, that is what I would have chosen...you just never know!

Gift giving is a " Saint Nicholas" thing isn't it? living here in Germany has given me a view on Christian ritual and it's really not what I see in Japan or Australia.

And I think it's real value is significant in the colder climates of the northern hemisphere, where people get together through a very isolated time ( and location for some)

In Australia, it's just an added stress for people when they are preparing for the long holiday season, rapping up work, finance, etc.

So, really, it's nice when people can get together and have fun. Just a small present can mean something. When something means something - it can be interesting and fun !

Do you know what I think is quite funny?

How wikipedia cites sources about a man who may/may not have been made up.

But that's religion - and another thread altogether and don't wish to insult anyone's beliefs.

nope.

But we've sorted one for the kid. He's getting kitchen unit with sink and oven with mini pots and pans and utensils. He wouldn't leave the IKEA toy kitchen yesterday.

The wife can have the same if she wants lol

oh no! Not the Bandaid "Do they know it is Christmas" song!

slap Thursday!!!

That is only listenable if you are thereabouts of 40, and have been heavily drinking with your mates at Christmas, and can sing along hugging each other!

I have a Christmas Karaoke VCD with background pictures from the Sapporo Snow Festival. I LOVE bringing that out at Christmas because the words are just CLASSIC. It is very much a case of 'misheard lyrics Engrish style'.

Pretty sure in Silent Night it went something like this...

...round young virgin, mother and child...

...holy in fact, tender and mild...