Drinking on a ski holiday can be a recipe for disaster

So just don't do it!!! grandpa

Quote:
Outside the first snows were falling and inside the English-speaking pubs of Val d'Isère the drinks orders came in thick and fast. "I've been here two weeks and I've been out every night," said Luke, a 24-year-old Londoner, who drove to the Alpine resort in the hope of finding work for the season.

He hasn't found a job, but has discovered the joys of après-ski. "It's usually four or five pints a night and a couple of doubles." His new friend Ollie agreed. "Oh yes, we drink lots," he says, adding, with a smirk: "Of water, of course."

Theirs may be a common experience in a town known for its hedonistic pleasures but the signs are that the authorities' patience may be wearing thin with young partygoers.

In a coordinated attempt by local and UK authorities to crack down on the heavy drinking that accompanies every ski season across the French Alps, the Foreign Office launched an information campaign aimed at raising awareness among British tourists of the risks that come with high-altitude alcohol consumption.

Through the distribution of posters, flyers and beermats in resorts such as Val d'Isère, Meribel and Morzine, it hopes to warn more than a million Britons that binge drinking on a ski holiday can be a recipe for disaster. It is also intends to make sure people come to the Alps with adequate insurance cover – a familiar problem among the under-25s.

But seriously, how much do you drink on a ski holiday? Huge part of it, a sip by the fire late in the evening?

Originally Posted By: RobBright
Cue the video of skiing and drinking. wink

lol Thanks for the plug there Rob.
Depends on the snow. Only a little if it's really good or if I'm plannig a hike. More if conditions are bad.
If it's a sunny spring day, then a lunchtime beer tastes great. smile

I'm not much of a casual drinker so no drinking for me! I only drink to get smashed, i know its sad but once i start i can't stop, I drink too fast.

I once got a free ski pass for a day because my mate had too much of a hangover biggrin

I like a drink.

But wouldn't really get into it until the lights go out.

Once sat in a cafe having lunch on the mountain with a beer and half way through the beer froze.

Total whiteout couldn't ski hard enough to get warm.

Lined up for 10 minutes getting really cold then got on the lift.

2 hours later still stuck on lift people jumping off on the lower slopes my lift partners crying.

Still had to ski 2 valleys to get home.

Scary!

I don't know if it had anything to do with drinking though.

I did drink alot that night.

Scariest drunk/winter story I have is when I did a season in Revelstoke in BC. On my Birthday half the town (well at least those in the pub I was at) bought me a drink. By the end of the evening I was paralytic and a friend attempted to drive me home. He didn't know where I was living and I was barely in any state to give directions so as it is a fairly small town I told him just to let me out and I'd make it. Anyway ended up stumbling on the railroad track that runs through town and I knew my house wasn't far from the track so I followed it. After some little while I stopped to look around and realised I had totally walked out of town which was now just a glow in the cold snowy evening. I think I passed out for a bit and maybe fell on the tracks a few times as I had some great bruises the next day but somehow (I don't really remember) I managed to get back to the house. Luckily it was only about -7 that night otherwise I doubt I would have made it.

It was in Flaine, France.

And we lived in a resort 3 valley's away called Les Carroz.

I know the feeling GN many a time that season I tried to walk up the mountain (our hotel Le Fond Du Neige) was at the top of the village) one step forwards 4 back) one night I crawled up the tree line freezing and falling asleep only to wake up oh so cold and soldier on.

I used to throw up every morning from altitude/hangover.

Bloody good season though.