Which Asian countries attract the most 'foreign' visitors

• SnowJapan Admin

Actually, it is quite interesting.

It's basically a discussion loosely based on these reports but then going off in all directions. There's usually about 12 of us actually doing the discussing - mostly Japanese chief editors of the main national newspapers, tourism 'experts', with just a few of us foreigners and then all of the JNTO department heads listening in and throwing in questions. It's all in Japanese so that makes it a bit difficult at times. It's a curious arrangement, but it's good that the top JNTO guys get to hear some of the stuff that is said and there's often a lot of interesting things come up. I find most of them, in this meeting at least, to be well-intentioned and open to ideas. Oh yes, and there's a big party afterwards.

friend

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SnowJapan Admin

I'm not really totally sure! About 4 years ago I met the at-the-time JNTO director at Naeba when I was giving some speech and then met him again in Tokyo shortly after. He invited me to join this group and they have kept me on, so I keep going.

They probably just wanted a representative of these here extremely knowledgeable Forums. wink

• SnowJapan Admin

Sorry I forgot to post that list. Too many things to do!

Here it is

1 France

2 US

3 Spain

4 China

5 UK

6 Ukraine (!)

7 Turkey

8 Germany

9 Russia

10 Mexico

Meeting was actually really interesting this time, they heard a lot of comments they might not have wanted to hear to chew on. As always I kept banging on about winter sports. The party was fun too - ended up at the end just me and the top JNTO guys talking about skiing, beer, football and stuff.

friend

They have some very ambitious targets for the next 10 years but some pretty big question marks on how they plan to get there and who those numbers will be made up of.

Perhaps at last they realize there's a foreign market.

Back in the 90's all the TV travel shows were on about travelling in Japan. Pursuading holiday makers to stay in Japan and spend locally to help the country out.

For a country of its size and with so much to offer, 10 million visitors a year is really not impressive.

Originally Posted By: SJ#1
They have some very ambitious targets for the next 10 years but some pretty big question marks on how they plan to get there and who those numbers will be made up of.

This is the real problem, they basically have no idea whatsoever about how to market Japan to foreigners. Most people from JNTO I've met barely even speak any english. It would make sense for them to hire someone with experience in marketing at that level from a country that has been successful in increasing international visitor numbers. Of course that's never likely to happen.
  • SnowJapan Admin

I would like to think that positive changes like that are going to be made Go Native.

Getting feedback from people involved in tourism/marketing is one of the reasons they have this particular group/meeting - though I'm not sure how useful my particular input is! wink

And pretty much all the guys there can actually speak English, even though the meeting is held in Japanese though most present are at the top of the JNTO organisation don't know that might make a difference. I presume this particular meeting is done in Japanese because some of the members can't speak English and Japanese is the one language that we can all speak more or less.

• SnowJapan Admin

Certainly not dismissive, thursday. I would say encouraged, though how that will translate into anything I don't know. I often feel I know much more about it than the JNTO guys who are at the meeting but if that is the case then hopefully that has some use too. After all, it's not a meeting about winter sports but as you might expect thats the agenda that I try to push.

No Italy in that list??

JNTO didn't do very well during the Nagano Olympics or the Football World Cup. I think tourism actually went down during the latter due to Koreans staying home.