What offends you? Perhaps in Japan or overseas?

One thing that really gets on my goat is this woman who INSISTS on speaking to me in Japanese as if she is speaking to a 1 year old. She knows full well that my Japanese is pretty decent and my accent isn't awful and I can speak pretty fluently with other people in the office but this one for some reason just won't quite the baby talk. And we've been in the same office for over 2 years!

slap

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I'm asking for some predictable responses here but....

When Japanese people say to me (not ask) - "British food is awful, isn't it".

It just seems strange for people who pride themselves on being 'polite'. As well as being incorrect.

Actually, making that sort of comment about food from any nationality would be offensive. I find all sorts of food interesting. Some I'd not eat again, but nothing (much) that I'd not try once.

Originally Posted By: JA
Actually, making that sort of comment about food from any nationality would be offensive. I find all sorts of food interesting. Some I'd not eat again, but nothing (much) that I'd not try once.
thumbsup I'm with you JA!

I get really offended by pushy, impolite people at the stores at Christmas.

I find the whole tipping thing in the US offensive, pay your people a decent wage and don't expect your customers to have to pay thir wages for you.

I dislike people pushing in at the lift line, we will all get a seat and the snow won't melt in the 2 minutes you gain.

Snow Boarders, OK just joking there

I also hate the terms Jap and Japs, while I am an Aussie and my wife a Pom, It just does not seem right.

I find people that dont respect the cultures of others offensive, those that travel and compare with back home, if you can't enjoy the culture your visiting, stay home.

I hate how in the US when you fly all the Merkins are telling everyone how much they catch planes, um so what its a bus with wings, I gave up counting at 400 flights.

I hate the Aussie Tourists that do the wrong thing OS, we have a great reputation, don't spoil it.

Quote:
I find the whole tipping thing in the US offensive, pay your people a decent wage and don't expect your customers to have to pay thir wages for you.

but

Quote:
I find people that dont respect the cultures of others offensive

Isn't that part of the "culture", as much as I hate tipping myself.
Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps
Quote:

but

Quote:
I find people that dont respect the cultures of others offensive

Isn't that part of the "culture", as much as I hate tipping myself.

nah that bugs me too

I feel the same way about any tourist thinking they know anything about any culture just because they spent 10 minutes reading through LP. I particularly hate meeting ignorant Canadians while I'm travelling who get all clingy just because we share the same nationality.

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
the gaijin nod.......why are you looking at me and why are you saying "alright?!" like we know each other just because we are both foreigners!!??

that is pretty much it - warrants a nod back in the sticks, but in the city though?
Originally Posted By: RobBright
even though I am not Japanese, I find the word "Jap" quite offensive.

That gets right up my nose. You will be called a Brit. People from Aus & Nz will be called aussies & Kiwis.The Yanks might call you a Limey.The list goes on and on.And what really gets up my nose is people saying Paki is racist. Its bloody short for Pakistani veryangry