Hi everyone.

I know I have asked the question before but can't find the answer.

Do I buy in Aus and where?

Or do I buy in Airport in Toyko Narita?

Thank you in advance.

It will be interesting if some one could come up with a funny answer.

I usually find that the airport give you a crap deal for the same reason that all the shops are expensive....you are a captive audience. Shop around in Oz before you come over here

hey Seemore, i strongly suggest you do what im going to do and use a Commonwealth travel card.

I think these are great, and you can also change currencry's at the bank. so best to get out $200 aud worth of yen for cash for the first day and then use the card for the rest.

Its a mastercard and it will be accepted at most ATM's

smile

it will not be accepted at MOST ATMs. If it's mastercard, then probably on International ATMs with the Maestro mark. In the whole of Niseko and Kutchan, there are probably 3 international ATMs. 2 at the post office in Kutchan and one in Hirafu.

I get all my cash in HK before I leave. I carry a wad wherever I go. And if we ever run out, then it's the ATM with a fixed fee for whatever amount.

NEVER go to the banks in Japan to exchange, they are 50% more expensive.

CASH! Bring cash! You have no idea how annoying it can be trying to exchange your credit card for goods and services in some parts of this country. It's gotten a lot better but who really wants the hassle when you're on vacation?

If yor card is a debit card, you should have a credit card as well (Visa). You can get cash at Narita ATM's.

Citibank ATM's are also international. The Hakuba Post Office is near the station, nowhere near the resorts. The ticket offices take credit card.

You can go to Travelex and those sorts of places Seemore, but I've found that NAB are pretty good to deal with. I exchanged a small amount there before leaving, and upon arrival, just use 7/11 atms to get money out (NAB cards have Plus or Visa links). I used them quite a bit both times we have been there, and only got charged about $12 in fees, which is a damn site cheaper than the fees a travel exchange will charge you.

Just be careful with some of the smaller banks. My mum couldn't use Suncorp, and others have found Bank of Queensland and other smaller institutions don't work in the atms.

We still swear by Travelex online - excellent rates. Just order what you want online and then they send it to your nearest Harvey World Travel Store and you pick it up.

Just get cash WAY less hassle. Cards are fine if you are going somewhere that takes cards but in my experience in Niseko most places and shops don't accept cards. Can you imagine how busy the one ATM in Niseko is going to be!!!

Seemore, check the large banks, and find the best rate. The best bit of advide I can give to a West Aussie is book your YEN soon. There is a very good chance the banks will not have enough on stock when you need it.

• 2 weeks later...