Anyone here admit to being a "train spotter"?

I never can see the appeal, but there is definitely a gang out there.

On the BBC today

Quote:
Japanese hotels near stations are trying to attract train spotters with rooms marketed as having a "rail view".

Most people would prefer a room away from the tracks, fearful the double glazing would not block the rattle of a passing early morning express.

But some hotels near stations in Tokyo are turning a potential disadvantage into a business opportunity.

They are trying to broaden their appeal beyond tourists and business travellers by marketing rooms to train spotters.

There are estimated to be 20,000 railway buffs in Japan, together spending more than $40m (£24m) a year on their hobby.

The Hotel Mets Akabane in the Japanese capital has a scheme guaranteeing rooms with a view of the tracks on the fourth floor or above.

The manager told the BBC some customers come back again and again.

The rival Odakyu Hotel Century Southern Tower overlooks Shinjuku station, one of the busiest in the world.

Its "Just like the N-gauge Model, Train View Stay Plan" is named after Japan's standard size of model railway sets.

The offer includes a gift of a paperweight made of a piece of track, as well as a copy of the latest railway timetable.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a few friends who were into it. The D51, C series steam locomotives. They attracted huge crowds. Had a friend who can recite the whole station from one place to another.

Another friend who's hobby was to eat all the different bento from different stations.

Of course a photo taken beforemouth biggrin

I was on the Hakone romance train from Shinjuku at 10:30am. These 4 girls who must've been schoolgirls or something turned the row around so they faced each other, ordered the special sushi from the cart and opened up their kirins. I was well jealous of that breakfast.

Originally Posted By: thursday
I was on the Hakone romance train from Shinjuku at 10:30am. These 4 girls who must've been schoolgirls or something turned the row around so they faced each other, ordered the special sushi from the cart and opened up their kirins. I was well jealous of that breakfast.

I would have been too if they were schoolgirls. wink

It's not so much seeing the train as identifying the type.

In Oz, I spent a youth on a rail overpass identifying the engine type & wheel configuration and from that the entire design configuration of the engine. (Mind you, that was in the days of steam, and that was part of the thrill).

eg the 3498 is a type 34 engine #98 in the series. And, at one time, I could have told you how the wheels were arranged, the capacity of the boiler, the top speed etc - can't now as that was around 50 years ago!

Originally Posted By: JA

In Oz, I spent a youth on a rail overpass identifying the engine type & wheel configuration and from that the entire design configuration of the engine. (Mind you, that was in the days of steam, and that was part of the thrill).

eg the 3498 is a type 34 engine #98 in the series. And, at one time, I could have told you how the wheels were arranged, the capacity of the boiler, the top speed etc - can't now as that was around 50 years ago!

There you go, a classic trainspotter geek. Well, the word geek here is redundant.
Originally Posted By: thursday
Originally Posted By: JA

There you go, a classic trainspotter geek. Well, the word geek here is redundant.

Very definitely EX-trainspotter, thurs

A buncha trainspotters from England went to China to spot the steam locos that were in abundance a decade ago. Their tour guide thought it stange that they ONLY wanted to look at the steam locos and were not at all interested in the modern diesels that were propelling China into the 21st century.

She felt they were spying for some news article to take the piss and called the polizai.

There is absolutely no nostalgia for past technologies like this.

Geez JA

How old are you if it was in the days of steam.

I was on an old steam train once and was looking out the window ( head hanging out ) and I got something stuck in my eye.

So I couldn't identify anything let alone what model it was.

Toot Toot

Originally Posted By: seemore
Geez JA

How old are you if it was in the days of steam.

As they say - old enough to know better, young enough to not care! (61 if ya must know!)