I'm sure a similar thread exists but I couldn't find it. Anyway, I'm looking for advice on backpacks suitable to carrying a camera with multiple lenses (probably 3 extras) on the slopes. I've been looking at Dakine bags, specifically the Photo Mission bag. What do you use to safely transport your precision instruments? (get your minds out of the gutter... I'm talking about cameras!!!)

Thanks for the ideas guys. I'm going to check out the links you provided. One of my considerations is having something that is as compact as possible. I'll be taking a digital SLR with 3 lenses 35mm, 300mm, and a 17mm fish-eye(nothing too big). I also ride with a digital video camera but it's pretty compact so no issues there. Cheers for the suggestions... hope there will be more to come!

Mitch, any chance that Dakine backpack has the insulated hydro sleeve through the shoulder strap? That's an option I really liked about my other Dakine bag!

LOL, thanks Muika, I actually took quite a few last year before I realized that there was some kabi growing on the inside of the camera body which left some tiny black dots on the finished product. Very disappointed! Anyway, just got the camera back from the repair shop yesterday and started to think about ways to protect it better!!

Do you know which Dakine bag it is? Maybe if you can check how many liters it holds... or something... too much selection makes me indecisive!

It's not actually at my house right now will be getting it back later this month. It looks like that one above but smaller, I have 3 lenses in there.

Bags don't really excite me I'm afraid. I only take my good camera out on fine days when I'm as much into the taking photos as the skiing.

Do you want a huge backpack on the lift, or do you mind taking it on/off a lot? I cant be bothered, so I got a harness and wear my camera on the front. The setup cost me roughly 4000 yen. 2500 for the camerabag and like 1500 for the harness strap. Got it at Yodobashi Camera. Works great. No fumbling getting the camera in and out of your bag as its right at your hands. If in emergency you can unstrap it in seconds to get out your beacon.

Downside, only one camera and the lense attached to it.

2 of my riding crew have DaKine Sequence packs of various generations. I am certain the older ones did not have the hydration sleeve, nor a dedicated place for a reservoir (you could still put one in and route the hose out the zipper). Not sure if the newer ones have changed.

Thanks for all the responses. Kind of a slow day at work (thank goodness for exams!) so I've been checking up on a few things. It seems that I can buy the camera block separately from the bag. Does anyone know what size of bag this would fit into? I was thinking about getting the 20L Heli Pro but am concerned whether the camera block would fit into it (its 15L)... this would be a lot easier if I didn't live in inaka!!

The idea behind a camera backpack is simple Can you get to your camera easily? Stuffing a camera block into a pack, having to take it out, put it back in, is really a waste of money.

You want a pack that you can get into by just putting the bag down. What makes the F-stop bags so good is, they open from the back panel. It gives you fast access and allows the cameraman to store the camera in a top loading way as well. Say you don't like the shot, you have to move you can quickly, then stash the camera in the top and move.

The volume is important. Any large bag can be collapsed into a smaller shape. The same cant be said about a small bag getting bigger. A 45litre F-stop can pack like a 25litre pack. The extra space gives you a pack that is more versatile.

Yeah you spend more money but why buy 2 packs to do 2 different things when one can do them both.

on and off charlifts is easy with the Dakine, just take it on one shoulder.

Infact, I had the pack and a 4 year old to contend with last time I was at N. His instructor had 2 kids and asked me to help with one.

I'm looking at the Dakine Poacher for this season.

Even when you add the camera block it does everything the F-stop does, but considerably cheaper (US$113 less)

Dakine Poacher 38l US$97.97

http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/outlet/DAK0778/DAKINE-Poacher-Backpack-2300cu-in.html

Dakine Camera Block US$27.97

http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/outlet/DAK0783/DAKINE-Camera-Block-880cu-in.html

Total of US$125.94

gareth...dont fall. simple wink

re:that $30 dakine camera block. I know a guy who bought it but ended up sending it back because it's not as big as the block you get in the sequence. It's not deep enough for a pro camera/body with grip.

the big difference you guys are missing when comparing the Dakine to the Fstop is 1)the internal frame and 2) the overall quality. The Fstop has an internal frame which keeps the shape of the bag, which makes a big difference on spreading out the load. This is especially important with a full pack and skis/snowboard strapped on when hiking. On the Dakine, the board swings back & forth with every step increasing the energy you have to use. When skiing/boarding, the bag with the internal frame stays close to your back and doesn't move. The dakine flops around. If you want to enjoy skiing/boarding and carrying a pack with your photo gear, the fstop is the handsdown winner.2) the overall quality is quite different. Dakine bags are good, fstops are way better made. Fstops can actually be demo'd this winter in Hakuba Ive heard but dont know about other areas.