A few airline travel questions/wonderings

I got a mail from British Airways over the weekend about a very cheap offer on business class seats - return to the UK Jan-Mar from 220,000 yen (about 260,000 yen including all the taxes etc).

That seems realllly cheap, it's really tempting.

I called up No 1 travel as well and they gave me the same cost. So was wondering how much commission they get on a flight booking? The BA woman on the phone sounded like she was half asleep with a big hangover, No 1 were much better to speak with.

I got that too and was thinking the same. Almost affordable.

I was just speaking with my accountant and he surprised me once again with one of these "tax rules that spoil the kids fun". I thought that if I booked and paid for a flight within 2009, even if the flight was in 2010, then I would be able to put that expense in to bring my taxes down for 2009. Seems not to be the case, even if I pay in 2009 it will be assigned to 2010 for tax purposes. Quote "if you could do that, every company making a profit would do it" or something like that.

I personally can't work out what's so bad about that. If companies are spending money then surely it's good for the company that is receiving the funds and the economy in general. So why stop such things?

But why would that matter? I just don't really get that. There's going to be 'peaks in sales' of lots of things around the end of the year and I can't see what it really has to do with the taxman anyway other than rules for rules sake.

I guess it would be disruptive - people waiting till end of tax year to spend their cash their profits in, and vice versa companies hoping cash is going to come in at that time.

Just trying to guess possible logic they are using, not saying I agree with it.

I thought in Japan anyway most companies do whatever they can to avoid making a profit, hence the entertainment industry for salaryman. Spend spend spend...

Originally Posted By: bobby12
I guess it would be disruptive - people waiting till end of tax year to spend their cash their profits in, and vice versa companies hoping cash is going to come in at that time.

Just trying to guess possible logic they are using, not saying I agree with it.

I thought in Japan anyway most companies do whatever they can to avoid making a profit, hence the entertainment industry for salaryman. Spend spend spend...

and some of the bedraggled shops I see about the place....actually not try and avoid making a profit, I reckon they don't care if they make a profit or even a single sale!! How many crockery shops does one street need??!!

OK found the spare cash.

Booked for March. Will make a change. Looking forward to checking it out. It will make a change to actually look forward to the flight rather than the usual dread.