Originally Posted By: muikabochi
So cold there? It's 5 degrees here at the moment.

Raining too.

It's crystal clear sky here, thats why the temps are low, think this area can get down to around -10 in mid winter, not so cold compared to some places but never the less quite cold!
Another reason, here is a bonchi climate and as I am living in the mountains at the foot of them means large temp variations.
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: SKI
Every year it seems to be the same with opening dates at places like Kagura, Nozawa. Either a real struggle or just totally not happening. Perhaps Naeba got it right after all by saying 5th Dec.

The two week forecast that now reaches the weekend of the 5th looks grim for snow. Nozawa kind of boast of having no snow machines, but it would be better if they did. It can take a while to get going there and coverage late season disappears very quickly lower down. Not that its actually cold enough to make snow without lots of energy just yet.

Experience says everything can change very quickly if a good system comes through. Not on the radar just yet though.
Originally Posted By: Metabo Oyaji
Snow mat... Isn't that the same thing Marunuma uses for their "summer gelaende"? What is that like to ski on? Wouldn't it be rough on your skis?

It depends what kind of mats they are using. I've skied on the old style bristle-lattice mats, which are horible and it hurts if yu fall over and I've skied on the newer kind Snoturf matting thats more like the stuff they use for artificial football pitches, this kind is actually quite good. The way they pad it underneath mean that if you do fall over then it's not sore. Both of them mess up your skis though.

Sapporo Kokusai, Sapporo Teine, and Kiroro opened this morning. There was a nice snowfall from midnight, so it should be good! Teine only has the gondy to the top and one lift running, so not much open there. I don't think Kiroro is fully open either. I can't go until Tuesday, so someone get out there and get some for me!

It was looking really dire there for a moment, but although it hasn't been snowing in Sapporo all that much yet, it has been dropping in the hills for the past week-and-a-half or so. Hopefully there will be some nightly "fill in" snowfall until I can get up there!

Thanks for the feedback, Tubby. Might be fun to give a shot some summer (on rented equipment!), with appropriately set expectations.

Looks like Kagura is debating opening on Monday, with final decision due by Sunday morning at 9:00. Good luck to them!

Personally gunning now for Gran Deco's planned opening next Saturday, 11/28. Snow depth on the live cameras looks to be all of about 3 mm at the base... hope Mother Nature helps out this week.