Originally Posted By: JA
Yeah, lets not get started ...

Then let's end it...

Any ideas on good tips for places to work? I'm looking for seasonal, maybe Oct-Apr type jobs. Also how is bringing two pairs of skis, expensive? A pain in the arse?

If you guys are into backcountry booters, pillow lines, snowmbiling and hiking, and can handle Canadians and Kiwi accents, give me a shout when you move here. Despite what some people say, Hokkaido has some sick terrain, you just have to know where to go. Some people dismiss Hokkaido from having steep terrain but it's sitting right there..along with a long season, good snow stability and very few, if anyone poaching your lines.

And a road trip to Hakuba when it's on is as easy as getting on a ferry. 18 hours and 25,000yen for you and your car. You can get a great 4wd van for about 300-500,000yen.

Hakuba can get extreme and Hokkaido can get extremely fun, so you get it all.

If you want to get a visa, you need to have proper qualifications and at least 3 years experience in something. But if it were me, I would save up my bucks back home and come here to just ride and explore the first season.

Originally Posted By: Black Diamond
If you guys are into backcountry booters, pillow lines, snowmbiling and hiking, and can handle Canadians and Kiwi accents, give me a shout when you move here. Despite what some people say, Hokkaido has some sick terrain, you just have to know where to go. Some people dismiss Hokkaido from having steep terrain but it's sitting right there..along with a long season, good snow stability and very few, if anyone poaching your lines.
And a road trip to Hakuba when it's on is as easy as getting on a ferry. 18 hours and 25,000yen for you and your car. You can get a great 4wd van for about 300-500,000yen.
Hakuba can get extreme and Hokkaido can get extremely fun, so you get it all.
If you want to get a visa, you need to have proper qualifications and at least 3 years experience in something. But if it were me, I would save up my bucks back home and come here to just ride and explore the first season.

This is really helpful. I have a Bachelors and am going to get my masters in a couple years. I have 3 years of experience in snow retail/customer service/etc think that would be good for qualification? biggrin

sorry three years as an "instructor" of some sort and the certifications to prove it. A Uni degree will help you get an Engrish teaching job. I did that for 8 years and worked my way up to teaching university. You get most of winter and two months in summer of so it's a bit of a dream job.

A Uni degree will get you around a 250000 yen a month job. search gaijin pot if you really want to go this route. Americans have very limited choices for Visas.

Black diamond we always hear about Hokkaido having steep terrain somewhere. No one shows it so come on show it.

Originally Posted By: rider69
A Uni degree will get you around a 250000 yen a month job. search gaijin pot if you really want to go this route. Americans have very limited choices for Visas.

Black diamond we always hear about Hokkaido having steep terrain somewhere. No one shows it so come on show it.

Do you have any suggestions for a job in Hokkaido, or any good visa route to go for Americans?

You really only have the English option. Im an ALT in Matsumoto, so I know nothing about jobs in Hokkaido. I have seen Gaijin pot advertise for northern Hokkaido in recent email updates. There are many new VISA laws now though. I'm not sure how well you can quit a job to just ski bum or work as an instructor though. I had to prove that I was paying into the insurance system recently. My company actually pays part of it which is lucky they did all the paperwork for me.

Black Diamond I dont want proof. I want help to plan a future trip to Hokkaido. I cant afford a guide so some help would be nice without a debate.

Originally Posted By: rider69
You really only have the English option. Im an ALT in Matsumoto, so I know nothing about jobs in Hokkaido. I have seen Gaijin pot advertise for northern Hokkaido in recent email updates. There are many new VISA laws now though. I'm not sure how well you can quit a job to just ski bum or work as an instructor though. I had to prove that I was paying into the insurance system recently. My company actually pays part of it which is lucky they did all the paperwork for me.

Black Diamond I dont want proof. I want help to plan a future trip to Hokkaido. I cant afford a guide so some help would be nice without a debate.

Makes sense. I don't really want to ski bum. I would really like to work but ski on the side if that helps.

Don't suppose a BS in Computer Science will help me get a resort job? razz

Ive' thought about trying to find a programming job in Japan, but I'd imagine it'd be a very Japanese work environment - long hours, etc.

Originally Posted By: scouser
It might be worth trying some slightly less high profile places as well. The ratio of people trying to get in will be much smaller.

How's your Japanese Mitch?

Japanese is improving daily. Still not the greatest, but I can manage in conversation. What are the less high profile places? How is Sapporo when compared to ease of getting to ski hills and working?

Sapporo has its own resorts in the city (is it 3?) Although I've never been, I have heard good things about them. Being the biggest city up there I'd guess that all roads converge there and so making it easy for you to travel around Hokkaido to the various resorts.