Wondering whether to get a stomp pad for my new snowboard. My previous (first) board had one and I did find it useful for scraping snow off my boots and gripping the board coming off chair lifts. But browsing in Sports Depo today I saw they're 1000 yen even for their own-brand. It pains me to pay 1000 yen for a piece of plastic. And now I'm a better boarder I wonder if I really need one.

1357.72679_m.jpg

pic in case you didn't know it's called a stomp pad (I didn't)

Not required however you will notice the difference. Maybe if things are skimp you could make your own. I suggest some tree sap and stones. I did this many years ago on an old board and it worked really well.

Originally Posted By: Gtrain
Tripler, have you tried a board without one?

Yes, briefly. Made removing snow from the boot less easy but using the bindings instead did the job. I don't remember it affecting getting off lifts. These days I try to strap up both feet before I reach the end anyway.

If it was 500 yen I probably would get one for snow removing convenience. Just the principal of the thing, paying 1000 yen (that's £7) for literally a piece of plastic, that galls me. Maybe 100 yen shops stock them.

I use them.

Had a few times when my back foot slipped on the board surface getting off steepish lifts. Not such a consideration I suppose in powder, and in the simpler lifts in Japan (my only frame of reference being Niseko). Some of the Aussie lifts - like those in Falls Creek - are icy and steep requiring control on the back foot big time - and when the snow is icy/slippery - that makes it hard without a stomp pad.

Ive just bought one for my new board, and do get good use when moving around the lifts etc.

Can I recommend if you do decide to get one, get a large single pad, rather thana bunch of smaller studs. my friendly sales rep was suggesting that the smaller studs tend to get pulled off more easily because there is less surface area of glue on them

One board have and the other I don't. Mine is a small pad and I wish it were larger ( like the pic ) . Now I bang and scrape my boot on the edge of the board or the binding so I think it's worth having it ( but can go without )

I bought one last year, a cool Burton logo one and paid about 1500 yen for it omg , a couple of runs later I looked down to see it had fallen off!! Waste of time and money IMO. I got one free with my bindings and instead of the plasticky kind, it was made of foam. I found that this gave me better grip when coming off the lifts and it hasn't fallen off. If you don't have one then I wouldn't bother

Actually ... my K2 Luna board has a pretty little row of diamante like things that give a bit of grip in that area - on the board prior to purchase.

Mine is the middle one - and the bling is where the writing is in the middle closer to the back of the board.

20032000.jpg

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
You pay 30,000 - 90,000Â¥ for a board but 1000Â¥ for a stomp pad is too expensive? confused

I paid the equivalent of 18,000 yen online for a great board from the US which I couldn't have have got here for any money. Super wide for my size 13 feet and nice and long. 1000 yen for a generic stomp pad is a joke. Those studs should be diamonds! Ski gear is very expensive here.

It's easy to make the argument that gear is expensive here if you don't take the time to look for cheaper stuff. Especially if you buy from retail stores. I'm constantly searching US, CND, and J websites for gear and am sure beyond a doubt that if you factor things like taxes, shipping etc, the prices are exactly the same in each country. Of course sometimes you'll find a great deal because something is on sale, a company is going out of business or whatever but those kind of deals exist in Japan too. It's also true that some gear you simply can't get in Japan but that doesn't mean it's cheaper elsewhere, especially if you have no price point to compare. Anyway, if you think that stuff is expensive in Japan just ask our Aussie friends how much they paid for their kit.

But you're right. If you only paid 18,000Â¥ for a new board then it's probably not worth putting the stomp pad on because it's a piece of junk smile