I'm left wondering what sort a world we are living in when a Holywood celebrity's opinion is the leading story of the day!

This skit is guilty of being not funny or perhaps bad taste but racist???

BTW How is the rest of the world supposed to know that 'Be nice to a Negro' is flavour of the month in the US.

Been talking with lots of different groups of friends about this very issue yesterday and today.

Interesting one.

I watched the show. Red Faces is always a 'stupid' talent segment, that is what makes it funny. Not intelligent humor funny - but snigger WTF funny. I was not offended by the skit. Particular did not have any issue with it being racist - but I very quickly realized it was going to be an international incident once Harry chucked a spack!

If I tell a man joke am I sexist?

Is it racist for a black man to disguise himself as a white woman in a comedic movie - is that poking fun?

How far do we go?

There was no racial slur, no malice and no belief that one race was better than another. This was simply a comedic tomfoolery by a group a guys about a music group that had distinguishing features.

NOT RACIST!

God no - there was no racist intent.

Why is ok for a black comedian to joke about white or Asian people, yet if a white person does it, it is pretty much claimed to be racist?

I didn't find this racist in anyway. It was a tribute to the Jackson 5 not make fun of them!!!

HELLO what I did find offensive was when Harry Connick Jr was having his tanty rant he said "We have spent so much time trying to not make black people look like BAFFOONS" So is he saying that black people were baffoons until they got help veryshocked

And I'm sorry I like Obama BUT NOBEL PEACE PRIZE winner!! WTF wakaranai

MORE RANT Didn't Robert Downey Jr play a "black man" in Tropic Thunder and everyone raved how brilliant he was. They were all more shocked because in one scene they called someone a retard and everyone was up in arms about it!!

Was that all AOK in America!!

Originally Posted By: RobBright
God no - there was no racist intent.

Why is ok for a black comedian to joke about white or Asian people, yet if a white person does it, it is pretty much claimed to be racist?

That's very true. The only people who are allowed to say nigger are negros.
The blacks are the only ones who can make fun of the blacks.

Plenty of reverse racism and sexist (from gays)
They stereo type themselves... like maybe 10 years ago, if you were black and you weren't angry, you aren't cool.

The painting of faces are a symbol of Hollywood exploitation - made popular by Public Enemy

In the original version of that skit on the show many years back the guy playing MJ with his face white, was an Indian and the only black guy in the group, it was quite funny.

Nah its not racist in the least and totally harmles, Americans have lost their sence of humour. Wasn't there a movie recently where two black guys played two white girls and why is it funny when Eddie Murphy plays all the characters in a Barber shop including the white guys.

It's funny because it IS funny.

It is exaggerating the stereotypical behaviors of a group so that we can have a good laugh at the truth in it. I am a HUGE believer in equality - but think 'affirmative action' is a really bad idea. It is racist in itself, and does not work to redress wrongs - it sets groups apart and encourages separatist behavior and silly OTT reactions to the most insignificant things!

LOVE Eddie Murphy.

Are we gonna send Hugh Jackman over to the USA to tell them it is offensive and Australia is appalled?

No. We are not so petty or silly.

You know I don't think the Aussie reaction has been as much about what HC jnr thinks - but more about how Daryl, the show, and other Aussies in the spotlight felt the need to apologize and recant/express regret - when the response should really have been "piss off".

We may be discriminatory and racist - but we are equal opportunity racists - we will poke fun at everyone - including ourselves!

Originally Posted By: thursday
the performance was crap.

And deffo racist in intent. The whites were outraged that wacko jacko was that white.

Thirs,
The performances on that segment of the show were ALWAYS intended to be crap, no talent required!

As for racist .. that's crap! Harry and hois mates need to get over themselves, get a life, and stop trying to be so damn PC.

Connick is a loser, AFAICS. I will never be involved in anything he does in future! Stupid seppo!