• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: RobBright
Debating whether to buy a mama-chari or a fully fledged mountain bike.

What should I be looking for in a decent mountain bike?

a couple of wheels, pedals, handlebars and a bright shiny bell
Click to reveal..
actually ...for a good MTB look for good front shock. min 120mm, disc brakes (not mechanical ones) and good rear shock

I don't know anything about mountain bikes. I wouldn't dream about spending thousand bucks or even half of it. If I have a choice of getting second hand, I'll go for that. Never had charinko with shockers on it so I don't see why I need them now. I'll go for comfort and avoid getting cheap'n'nasty ones. After all, are you really gonna race it hardcore downhill?

That particular Cannondale is a very good 'spec' bike and for that price, depending on condition , is a really good buy. Beware that with the Lefty fork if you are planning to remove the front wheel to put the bike in your car etc that there is a little more work involved to a standard wheel, you will need to remove the Disk brake caliber. If you plan on carrying the bike on the roof you will need either a convertor for your racks or racks that carry the bike whit the front wheel connected.

That said I'm a big fan of Cannondale and the life time warranty and have had excellent replacement service from Cannondale Aust. Go for it

Originally Posted By: thursday
I would imagine the shipping could be pretty hefty.

Thurs, shipping with Jensons was pennies overseas when I got mine. Typically those stores have deals/contracts with one shipper, so the rates arent bad.

BTW, did you pick up a bike?

Hey thurs.

I would recommend checking in on yahoo auctions. There are some killer deals to be found. I got a full downhill rig for about 100000 yen. Got it from someone in osaka. L frame and looked like it wasnt even ridden. Shipping was dirt cheap.

You can usually find at least a frame and build it up on your own specs for way less then a full built bike.

I have a slew of new/near new parts also if your interested. Have a trek Y 22 carbon fiber frame setup also. Could be built up for either a lightweight city ride or light trail rig.

Did you destroy your rim Muika? If not, why not just patch it up, or at worst, by a new tube and do it yourself? Shops usually have a few thousand yen surcharge to do that stuff - unless you have a mate doing it. Regardless, bike maintenance is pretty easy thumbsup ...same with ski stuff.

Not exactly sure what has happened but I did try investigating myself, unsuccessfully. I seem to have brought off the end bit of the inner tube that sticks out dont know the name of it and its causing trouble. I think it will just need a completely new tube. Anyway I know the shop people they wont be ripping me off, and Im happy to support them with my few thousand yen or whatever it will be.

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Not exactly sure what has happened but I did try investigating myself, unsuccessfully. I seem to have brought off the end bit of the inner tube that sticks out dont know the name of it and its causing trouble. I think it will just need a completely new tube. Anyway I know the shop people they wont be ripping me off, and Im happy to support them with my few thousand yen or whatever it will be.

Is it called the valve?
Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
I would imagine the shipping could be pretty hefty.

Thurs, shipping with Jensons was pennies overseas when I got mine. Typically those stores have deals/contracts with one shipper, so the rates arent bad.

BTW, did you pick up a bike?

CB, yes, I have a crappy 46lb mountain bkie with dual shocks. The crank fell off a coupla days ago and I had to walk it to the shop to give the owner a slap. Well, he tightened it up anyway.

The F1000 is still there. Hanging like my tongue.
Originally Posted By: MIDNIGHTCHARGER2
Hey thurs.

I would recommend checking in on yahoo auctions. There are some killer deals to be found. I got a full downhill rig for about 100000 yen. Got it from someone in osaka. L frame and looked like it wasnt even ridden. Shipping was dirt cheap.

You can usually find at least a frame and build it up on your own specs for way less then a full built bike.

I have a slew of new/near new parts also if your interested. Have a trek Y 22 carbon fiber frame setup also. Could be built up for either a lightweight city ride or light trail rig.

Trek carbon frame? veryshocked WOW!!. How does that behave.
Originally Posted By: muikabochi

Is it called the valve?

lol

thats not bad then Muika.

Trek carbon frame? veryshocked WOW!!. How does that behave.

I had a Trek 5500 back in the day, carbon fiber frame + fork. All Durace components. Rear disc wheel and a trispoke up front, that thing was a work of art. Sexy bike it was for sure.

Its been good to me when I used it. I got it from the U.S and shipped over. I needed something that was extremely light as I needed to take it on the trains (before I had a car for work).

Now that I have my Cannondale gemini, I havent rebuilt the trek, still in pieces. My cannondale weighs almost 3x the weight of the trek when the trek was built. The trek frame with the aluminum subframe weighes in at about 5-6 pounds with a shock mounted.

Sturdy frame design on those even though its an older model.