Originally Posted By: Mamabear
oh...he can tackle. He is like an immovable brick wall! One poor kid came into contact shoulder to shoulder and ended up with a broken collar bone. Huge improvements in game this winter season - playing Water Polo (6 training sessions a week + games) this summer - so I have big hopes for his Rugby next year in Under 13's.

No AFL aspirations? You must be sending him to the wrong private school!
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live next to one of the most popular pubs in Tokyo to watch sporting events (in Roppongi). Lots of people spilling out in the street to have a drink with their mates. All in good spirit. On the other hand, the next day the amount of rubbish and filth left in the street was staggering. Looked like a few garbage trucks had dumped their contents on the street. Not a good showing, very unfortunate.

Originally Posted By: Mantas
Wallaby's defence is woeful. That's where they are losing games despite holding majority of possession.
Rugby Union will never be held in the the same high regard in Australia as it is in England, South Africa or NZ. There are too many other more exciting codes for the public interest here. Unlike NZ, which pretty much a one sport nation, Australia's footballing talent gets split 4 ways.

IMHO friend

N.Z a one sport nation????? Does pretty well for 4 million people
not only at Rugby but netball, league, yachting, motorsports etc. Useless at cricket though but its not really a sport......
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
netball isn't a real sport!!! lol

Yeah maybe your right but I prefer to watch chicks in short skirts playing netball than guys in tight shorts playing Aussie Rules.
Originally Posted By: KRUSTY
Wallaby's defence is woeful. That's where they are losing games despite holding majority of possession.
Rugby Union will never be held in the the same high regard in Australia as it is in England, South Africa or NZ. There are too many other more exciting codes for the public interest here. Unlike NZ, which pretty much a one sport nation, Australia's footballing talent gets split 4 ways.

IMHO friend

N.Z a one sport nation????? Does pretty well for 4 million people
not only at Rugby but netball, league, yachting, motorsports etc. Useless at cricket though but its not really a sport......

NZ does very well for a country of 4 million, no doubt Krusty but I was referring to football codes.
In NZ All Black players feature heavily on TV ads and such. I'm sure most Kiwis would be able to tell you name names of the entire All Black team. Where as in Oz most people would be lucky to name a few. Never seen any on TV. ads.

Big big afternoon and evening. The road trip from Hakuba started out early with a stop at Toyashina for some go-cart action. And then the drinking began. Taxi stub tells me I got back to the hotel at 3am.

A big bender with some solid drinking performaces all round. The game wasn't great but good fun and the crowd were very well behaved. Izakaya for post match assessment and then off to a cool little bar in Shinjuku (I think)

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver

IMHO friend

Is rugby held in a high regard in England? Or rather a hgher regard than it is in Australia? I would think no but could be mistaken, to me (a non-rugger bugger) it seems like Rugby is more seriously supported in Australia than it is in England

It's very popular in England, hence you have the Guinness Premiership and the National leagues and the Heineken Cup, etc.

At school, we used to play football and rugby on alternate Saturday mornings. We had a better Rugby team than the football team.

At our boys school the kids select a winter and a summer sport - they have formidable A teams in Aussie Rules Footy, Rugby Union, Soccer, Volleyball, Badminton, Tennis, Cricket and Water Polo, as well as Rowing and Sailing.

My 17 yr old was Volleyball/Badminton - captain of B team for both.

My 16 yr old chopped and changed and now is simply wagging sport - he claims he will join school sport when they offer wakeboarding/snowboarding - the kid is constantly getting a kick up butt from us!

The 12 yr old is Water Polo/Rugby - A team in both.

The 10 yr old is still doing the few weeks of each sport thing - but next year he gets to choose - he will be Water Polo/Rugby as well.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Netball is so a real sport! razz

[i was never any good at it - hated it actually - but it is a real sport!!! Why do guys think they have the monopoly on sports!!!]

cos we do! razz
I'm only pullng your chain MB, BUT when you think of it women's sport does come 2nd to men's. I can't think of a major sport that women's is more important/bigger than men's. To my mind the closest is tennis, but even that isn't really close although women tennis players are highly respected

Thurs I know its well popular in England, t being the birthplace of the game, but I was surprised that Mantas thought it more popular than in Australia. Like I said I don't play/ have never played rugby and in my part of the world football (of the round ball variety) is king. There are amateur teams and plenty rugby pitches around, but Footy is definitely tops and I assumed the same for England.

Originally Posted By: thursday
You won't like it. It's very crowded.

You were right thurs I didn't really like being in Tokyo at all. I enjoyed going to the game and did stay out all night partying until my flight home but damn I'm glad to be back in little old Kutchan. Big cities just aren't my thing.
Originally Posted By: Go Native
Originally Posted By: thursday
You won't like it. It's very crowded.

You were right thurs I didn't really like being in Tokyo at all. I enjoyed going to the game and did stay out all night partying until my flight home but damn I'm glad to be back in little old Kutchan. Big cities just aren't my thing.

I'm the same. I always enjoy going to Tokyo for a short blast, don't do it often, but am always totally knackered and very pleased when I get back home in my almost silent neighbourhood. thumbsup

I would totally hate to have to live there. In fact, I don't think I would even if there were some super dooper salary offer.