Greetings everyone,

New poster here, though I read this site many times last year as a reference. With the weather cooling off, the kid and I are getting excited about the coming of ski season. Last year we warmed up at Sayama in November, and wrapped up at Kagura in May. Only six short months.

So... within, say, 4-5 hours drive of Tokyo, which ski area is likely to open the earliest? (Besides Sayama, or course.) Something in the Nagano area, or somewhere in Tohoku?

Gotta make use of those 1000-yen highway tolls!

You want real snow or silly crushed ice stuff? wink

Yeti in Shizuoka usually opens mid-October I think with the latter.

Marunuma in Gunma is usually open I think end October/beginning of November with the latter.

Karuizawa in Gunma plans to open 30th October.

Kagura in Niigata is hoping for 21st November. Okutadami in Niigata is gunning for then too.

Naeba used to go real early as well but is cutting back and retreating to early December.

I have been taking advantage of those 1000 yen tolls with a couple of surf trips.

I have got money on something in Hakuba opening on the 26th of November however it has been quite cold early this year so my bet may be a little late. I can't lose either way. banner

Last year Hakuba47 opened on the 22nd of Nov.

Originally Posted By: SKI
You want real snow or silly crushed ice stuff? wink

Hey, I'll take what I can get, early on.

I hadn't even realized there were other options in Oct./early Nov. besides Sayama. Thanks for the suggestions!

Hmm, I had been thinking of checking out Marunuma last year, but never made it there... Will also keep an eye on the other places mentioned.

Thanks again, guys. thumbsup
Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Good name Matabo Oyaji!

Thanks! Still trying to figure out yours...
A take-off on Muikamachi, with the implication that the place is like a graveyard at times?

Quote:
Marunuma is fun for a one-off, but it's a small place.

I don't mind one-offs, since I'm still in the exploring stage of trying lots of different places. Last year I don't think we ever went to the same place twice, unless we were staying there overnight. Mostly day trips here and there, to get a feel for what's out there.

Quote:
I wait until the real snow arrives. friend

Well here's the deal: the little one does a pretty mean ha-no-ji, and will gamely snowplow down big moguls -- or rather, snowplow right over the middle of them, going up and down them like a series of little hills -- but it is time for some professional coaching to get parallel turns down. (Kid won't do anything I say -- takes after me that way...) So I plan to devote the first time out this year to kiddie ski lessons, in which case the quality of the snow is not so important. Save the good snow and scenery for when the season proper gets underway.

Yes Muikamachi, it's where I live. bochi is a secret wink but nothing to do with graveyards!

About waiting til the snow arrives, good for you. I know the places round here really well, and only a very small part of them being open isn't particularly exciting!

I am also trying to branch out and try new places more and more. Last season I did and this season I intend to do more.