Im probably about to move to the south of korea (near Gwangju) some time next month. I was thinking of spending my weekends in and around Muju. Anyone got any better recommendations? Also, anything like rakuten or yahoo auctions?

Finally, are there any gelende maps anywhere. Only one ive seen so far is for muju.

As far as other places go, High 1 looks like it could be fun, sorta, but the place does have a bit of a conveyor belt look to it. And pyeongchang got kinda slated for being pretty much ice the last two years as far as ive learned? Am i missing anything? Starting to get the itch already and wanting a full range of info, but its pretty hard to find. Anyone got direct hands on info they can let me in on? Its all appreciated.

Korea is very dry in winter and the resorts there would barely survive without snowmaking. They do get occasional reasonable natural falls and if you live close by should be a bit of fun. If I were you though I'd save and head back to Japan for a week or two each winter and just head up to the Korean resorts now and then after a decent snowfall.

The weekends are carzy crazy. The Seoul-ites drive up in hordes, they queue jump 'cos it takes 45 mins to get on a chair. It's crazy. I'll never go back to Korea for skiing.

They spray at night and it settles as ice for the next morning. They stop the lifts for lunch, so a million people are in the hall getting lunch down to go back queuing for the lifts.

I've been to Yong Pyong, Phoenix Park, Muju. The latter was the best of them.

that be 2100km, 3.5 hour flight. Spend the first evening in Seoul and catch the coach up in the morning. Make sure it is not a Sat or Sunday morning 'cos you'll be fighting to get on.

doh thank heavens I don't do that anymore.

I'm sure it's fine if you've not seen snow before and just want to do some snowplay. If you're really into your skiing though I don't think Korea will ever become a major international skiing destination!

Originally Posted By: Go Native
I'm sure it's fine if you've not seen snow before and just want to do some snowplay. If you're really into your skiing though I don't think Korea will ever become a major international skiing destination!

Totally agree, for first timers who can then decide to not continue or go on to enjoy it in a much better environment.

But seriously if a first timer has a crap time maybe they will choose not to go back to the sport at all, when what they have is a skewed perception.

Saw this poor chick this past week being dragged by her snowboarder boyfriend down the village trail at Thredbo - it is a green trail, but in reality unless it is covered in a 30cm layer of powder it rides much more like an intermediate trail (particularly in certain sections) - the poor girl could not even stand up on her heel edge - it was ridiculous. How in heck they got off the chairlift is beyond me! I can guarentee she was having a cr@p time, and that she will avoid that kind of humiliation and pain with vigour in future.

Perhaps the above statement should be ammended to be LOCAL first timers.

Or they could put up big signs and messages on the video screens:

"PLEASE NOTE: While we hope you enjoy your day here, please remember that this place is actually really rubbish, so don't be put off skiing. Go somewhere else and you are bound to enjoy it more"

friend

Originally Posted By: 2pints,mate

"PLEASE NOTE: While we hope you enjoy your day here, please remember that this place is actually really rubbish, so don't be put off skiing. Go somewhere else and you are bound to enjoy it more"

friend

so you HAVE been skiing in Scotland!! lol
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver

friend

so you HAVE been skiing in Scotland!! lol

Or Australia!
lol

Would love to go TB. All those deep fried mars bars to boot!

yeah they really keep you warm when the biting wind is trying its damndest to blow your face off!!