Our family is looking at going to Japan in January - we have 2 boys aged 11 and 8 who have skied in Australia for 5 years.

We have heard Niseko is good but the weather can be overcast and the visibilty an issue - is this true?

Our preference is for good weather rather than fantastic snow - also prefer groomed runs. We are looking for a good family resort with a high standard of accommodation. The Cultural experience is no big thing for us - we would get that elsewhere in Japan - don't need it in the snow

I would be interested in your feedback - good or bad to help us in making a decision on where to go - ie Resort and Accommodation

Thanks

Originally Posted By: Perty
Our family is looking at going to Japan in January - we have 2 boys aged 11 and 8 who have skied in Australia for 5 years.
We have heard Niseko is good but the weather can be overcast and the visibilty an issue - is this true?
Our preference is for good weather rather than fantastic snow - also prefer groomed runs. We are looking for a good family resort with a high standard of accommodation. The Cultural experience is no big thing for us - we would get that elsewhere in Japan - don't need it in the snow

I would be interested in your feedback - good or bad to help us in making a decision on where to go - ie Resort and Accommodation

Thanks

prob be best going to Europe TBH. The resorts here are usually overcast, while there are bluebird days they aren't the norm. Japan is good because of the amount and quality of snow it gets, tons of snow means that there are also lots of clouds (filled with the white gold), if you don't care about the snow and just want bluebird days then the Alps are the place for you

I agree with Tubby.

Head for Zermatt if you are after bluebird days, groomers and not after the powder snow experience. Sounds exactly like our Jan 09 trip!

Having said that - Niseko is awesome, your kids would have a ball, the accomodation standard is excellent and the nighta's are something else!

You'll have more chance of blue skies in Myoko, Hakuba, Shiga or Nozawa. Unlike Niseko, where the snowfall is more constant, snow at the above comes in big dumps. So you might get crap weather or you might get days where you'll think you've died and gone to snow heaven.

Suginohara has some nice cruisy groomed runs and there's some nice places to stay there.

Problem is, a few beaut days in a row makes the snow slushy. Unless you are over 2500 m or so.

My eyes start to hurt, too.

Perty, what do you look for when you say high standards of accommodation?

I agree with Ma' bear. I'd also consider Italy and Austria.

Good weather is possible but tends to be towards the end of the season. In the middle, from what I remember and have seen, especially on the Nagano/Niigata coast line, clear sunny days don't last very long, and can very quickly wreck the conditions for that day; turning the nice soft snow, into hard, icy conditions.

Go to the Austrian Alps if you want good weather. Went there a few times in my youth/teenage years, and remember there was many sunny days, and dumps at night.

never been to niseko but have skied furano and kamui [ 3 trips ] . furano usually starts out sunny but by afternoon the clouds and snow roll in . weather is very cold in furano but i have never seen a blizzard or white out , snow quality is like silk .

kamui is a good day trip also available tomamu / sahoro /asahidake .

my kids are about the same age as yours so if you feel like a day off , try the asahiyama zoo in asahikawa .

best accommodation in furano is the new furano prince hotel and the furano prince hotel , both in the prince group of course . fresh powder apartments are good and about 30 meters from the kitanamine gondola .

furano has great tree cruisers and the only line up you will find is on the furano side ropeway [ 101 pax / 2330m in 5 mins ] , tough to hold onto the rope at that speed !

finally no trip to japan is complete for the kids without a visit to disneyland and disneysea in tokyo .

learnt to ski in austria , spent a couple of seasons in hopfgarten , if you like krauts crawling all over your skis , go for it .

first trip to furano i booked thru travelplan now i book everything thru the net myself .

good luck with your trip .

ps - noticed the gaigin [ round eyes ] in furano had doubled in nos. this year to previous .

pss - furano is a town which happens to have 2 ski fields behind it .

not a purpose built ski resort .

psss - if you think the cruisers are easy give challenge and kumatoshi a go . out of bounds is frowned upon but!!!!!!!!

Hi Perty,

Given your stated preferences, I'd suggest Hakuba rather than Niseko. In my experience Hakuba has almost as much snow as Niseko, but has a much higher frequency of Bluebird days.

There is some very high standard accommodation available in Hakuba.