Do you enjoy working with Japanese people?

On the whole I don't and I'll explain why.

Most Japanese people I have worked with over the years will happily come to work, sit at their desk all day long except for the 12-1pm lunch break and barely say a word to anyone besides the obligatory standard phrases one says at the start and end of the day. Sure if I make an effort and talk to them they will talk back but generally they'd rarely initiate a conversation that is not work related during work hours. This is also the case between the Japanese employees so it's not just because it's scary to come talk to the big round eye.

Employers probably love it but for me the personal interactions and relationships that I develop in the workplace are about the only things that keep me sane day after day.

Don't get me wrong I have developed some great relationships with Japanese people I work with but almost all of them are becuase I made considerable effort to get to know them not the other way around.

The idea that work is just for working is something rather alien to me but seems very normal for the Japanese and as admirable a work ethic it may be it just doesn't make it that much fun to work with them!

Well they must not like anyone then Mantas as they all just sit there all day never saying a word to anyone unless it's work related or they are spoken to first....

Drives me nuts!

I think it is standard in Japan not to chat during work hours.

It always shocks me when I visit one of our overseas offices how they are happy to stand around chatting about nothing for 20-30 mins at a time. But then I remember that it is because they understand that life is for living, not for working.

Its just the Japanese way. Totally different to our style, they probably feel the same way if they visit a western style workplace thinking that we are inefficient and wasting time with idle chit chat.

lazy gaijin mo-fo's!!

Originally Posted By: bobby12
....I remember that it is because they understand that life is for living, not for working.

thumbsup
Hallelujah!

Although you are being paid to do a job by your employer - so it is important to make sure that you give them thier moneys worth! I know when I interpret I am delivering concise, clear and complete interpretations and have NO hesitation in being paid through my coffee break when I chat happily with clients and coworkers.

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
Its just the Japanese way. Totally different to our style, they probably feel the same way if they visit a western style workplace thinking that we are inefficient and wasting time with idle chit chat.

lazy gaijin mo-fo's!!

This. The amount of time wasting in offices in various jobs, which I am also done, is crazy. People walking get coffee, stopping by their mates, having a good chit chat about their weekends, the footy, the kids etc, then watching them saunter off at lunch and home time on the dot, really surprised me.

OK there is a time and a place for it, and yes it does help stop you from going insane on occasions, but jeez, no need to have a 10/15 min convo.

In my first job at eikaiwa, most of the male teachers had a good time with the female Japanese members of staff. And the students too in some cases. Both were officially against the rules, but it never really stopped anyone.

Originally Posted By: Mr Wiggles
In my first job at eikaiwa, most of the male teachers had a good time with the female Japanese members of staff. And the students too in some cases.

This needs elaboration or pictures or both to make it worthwhile us reading it.

Yep I can definitely agree that the friendliness at Eikaiwa between Foreign guys and local staff and students was definitely high!! evilgrin

I'm still going out with one of my students as we speak (she is the same age as me though...not a schoolgirl!!) been around 7 years now. Starting to get pressured into the M-word from both sets of parents doh

7 years is a long time to be with someone without the M word at least being thought about! I married my wife in less than 3 years after starting to see each other.

slow starters!

I was engaged after one year dating, and married 12 months later. We have beaten the odds because we were married at 20 ... and we are still married. This year will be 20 years.

Not that I wish broken relationships on anyone, but it is somewhat gratifying that the people who gave us grief over getting married young and making stupid choices have seen thier 'sensible, later in life choices' fall apart while our 'ill thought out and destined to fail marriage' is still going strong.

[self satisfied smirk smiley needed]

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
slow starters!

I was engaged after one year dating, and married 12 months later.

Interesting MB. I was engaged a year after meeting & married another 3 months after that (@23).

Always said if I can last a year with someone that I'd marry them! and 10 years is coming next month!