Quote:
A haggis recipe was published in an English book almost two hundred years before any evidence of the dish in Scotland, an historian has claimed.

Historian Catherine Brown told the Daily Telegraph that she found references to the dish inside a 1616 book called The English Hus-Wife.

The title would pre-date Robert Burns' poem To A Haggis by 171 years.

But ex-world champion haggis maker Robert Patrick insisted: "Nobody's going to believe it."

'English dish'

Ms Brown said the book, by Gervase Markham, indicates that haggis was first eaten in England and subsequently popularised by the Scots.

She told the paper that the first mention she could find of Scottish haggis was in 1747.

"It was originally an English dish. In 1615, Gervase Markham says that it is very popular among all people in England," she said.

"By the middle of the 18th century another English cookery writer, Hannah Glasse, has a recipe that she calls Scotch haggis, the haggis that we know today."

Whatever, someone out to be punished.

Latest

A former world champion haggis maker today defended Scotland's claim to the dish after a food historian said the first recipe she could find for the dish was in an English book.

Catherine Brown caused consternation by citing the first printed reference to haggis as being in a book called The English Hus-Wife, from 1615 – well before the first Scottish mention, in 1747, and 171 years ahead of Robert Burns's paean to "the great chieftain o' the puddin' race". Brown said the book, by Gervase Markham, indicated haggis was first eaten in England before being popularised in Scotland.

Robert Patrick, from the butchers Patricks of Camelon, in Falkirk, said: "I find it hard to believe. I think we can still call it Scottish. There could well be some recipe in England that's similar. But the things that go in it are Scottish. There's a lot of mutton and oatmeal in the product."

Patrick, who was world champion haggis maker in 2003/4 and runner-up in 2007/8, said: "I am sure the customers will be as upset as me to think that England will steal our recipe."

Brown is standing firm, however. "It was originally an English dish. In 1615, Gervase Markham says it is very popular among all people in England. By the middle of the 18th century another English cookery writer, Hannah Glasse, has a recipe that she calls Scotch haggis, the haggis that we know today."

yeah Haggis is good. Just have to NOT think of its ingredients!! Haggis is Scottish, just because it said in a book from 1600's that English people ate it means nothing.....we were just too dumb to read and write!! lol

TBH it was probably eaten all over the Celtic British Isles in 1 form or another. White Puddings are not unlike Haggis, just that Haggis has mutton in it as well.

Vive Le Haggis!!

I had a proper haggis once. It tasted really good actually, wouldn't mind it again. Perhaps one of those things best tasted where they belong.

Never had or even heard of a "White Pudding" though.

Originally Posted By: RobBright
sod that - the scots can keep that poor excuse for food whilst I eat decent cuts of meat.

there are no 'cuts' of meat in Haggis, its made from the internal organs of the sheep. As disgusting as that sounds, organ meat is actually very healthy for you as it contains almost 0 fat. That said I'd still rather tuck into a huge sirloin than a whole heart!!

Organ meat is indeed healthy for you - but once you have cut up a frozen kidney and then had the smell of defrosting urine in front of you, it makes it very difficult to want to eat one.