Hey SkidaiSuki

Same as Mamabear worked hard got to 40 and decided too spend some money although it is looking pretty exy for a trip over there.

You are very lucky to be able to ski a couple of times a year

Anyway question for you do the Japanese have piblic ho;idays over xmas and new year?

Seemore

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't begrudging anyone their hard-earned holidays...only teasing, and pointing out the difference between Japanese attitudes and those of other countries towards time off.

Guess which philosophy I prefer?

Seemore - the Japanese do have national holidays over new year, although Christmas is irrelevant here. If I'm not abroad, Christmas is a work day, though obviously it's not a busy one for international businesses.

You can usually get several days off for skiing over new year without missing any work. It gets harder when you are married to a Japanese person and expected to do family stuff though. That's why I married a beautiful girl whose parents live close to a ski-jo....

As I mentioned, even taking off 3 or 4 weekdays in February gets gasps of envy from Japanese friends. You simply can't do it in most jobs, and the idea of getting 13 days in total per season (as I have for the past 2 seasons, including weekends) is also quite an achievement.

However long we all get, I can't wait for Autumn and the beginnings of the season. The weather really sucks here at the moment!

Originally Posted By: skidaisuki
I wasn't begrudging anyone their hard-earned holidays...only teasing, and pointing out the difference between Japanese attitudes and those of other countries towards time off.

razz We know.

However long we all get, I can't wait for Autumn and the beginnings of the season. The weather really sucks here at the moment!

Hallelujah! clap

confused oh wait....lets get the Southern Hemi season done first. I am hoping for some more turns in a couple of weeks.

This week is one of the biggest holidays in Japan isn't it? Curiously no national holidays - does that mean people take holidays or are lots of companies just closed for the week?

Depends on the company Lin - some of them automatically close down, whilst others stay "open" but expect their employees to use their holiday up.

And in regards to the topic - expecting to get into double figures this year, may even get up to the Northern parts this year.

Yes indeed Lin, everything's really slow here and because people are away basically no decisions get made during O-Bon week. This is quite convenient because all of the people we deal with in Europe seem to be on holiday at the moment as well.

O-Bon is a traditional holiday in Japan, not recognised with a national holiday, but thanks to lucky timing, we can look forward to a 5-day weekend next month, from 19th to 23rd September.

I'd prefer if it fell in late January or February though!

SdS

skidaisuki

No offence taken

Mine aren't hard earned holidays my company just closes down for 2 weeks and tells me not to work

I would rather they did it at a different time but I think it has something to do with God

Seemore

Originally Posted By: thursday
SDS, my hols are not hard earned. Sometimes I feel a bit guilty for taking salary in return for my time on the office internet. Only very seldomly though.

lol

Thursday

No mate waiting for quotes from travel agent

I am just spending too much time looking at different resorts & accom and getting nowhere Club Med looks good but really expensive.

I have worked in Switzerland and France with ski in/out accom and I guess I am looking for the same thing but it's hard to try to compile info.

We will see what the agent comes up with.

The Vale in Niseko looks good but haven't checked it out as yet.

Mate any recommendations would be good Family Accom ski in/out

Either Niseko or Nagano Area

Seemore

the Niseko accomodation page has a huge variety to choose from

Niseko Accomodation

You can contact the properties directly.

Personally I would not use an agent as I find booking my own flights and transfers and hotel very easy and straightforward.

Niseko is a 2.5hour bus ride (with a toilet break) from Shin Chitose airport. The bus drops you in the centre of everything. And accomodations can pick you up if you request it.

But seeing as this is your first time, I understand that using an agent to get all inclusive would feel more comfortable.

Can't really recommend any ski in/ski out family accomodation as I always stay at hotels. I just need an on-site onsen, no compromise.

I still say Hotel J-First in Hirafu is an excellent choice - just a couple of minutes' (flat) walk to the base lift, good food, clean and comfortable accommodation and pleasant service. It isn't ski-in-ski-out, but comes pretty close. And the rotenburo (outdoor onsen / bath) is very good as well...

seemore get your pm's working and I can advise you of an excellent agent in WA who can help organise your trip. Agents can often bundle everything together at a very good rate.

I have sent a notification and asked 'pretty please' for them to be turned on for you.

Seemore - a flat walk in Niseko is certainly not a problem. Anything in the upper village is SO accessible.

I still say Hotel J-First in Hirafu is an excellent choice

Is J-First not on the Snow Japan list of places to stay? I don't see it there, but if I Googl....err, Bing it then I can find it.

The wife and I have been to Niseko fo the past three seasons. If your focus is ski in ski out go to the Scott hotel. It is the highest located hotel (not by much) and is true ski in and out. Nice hotel, brilliant location, good breakfast, pillows like rocks.

As Thursday said, I think all the 1980's (?) Japanese hotels provide room sizes which could be better described as large cupboards.