yeah it will be risky. ive taken a look at the snow reports for a lot of resorts but you cant paint a detailed picture with them unfortunately.

from my research i figure the best chance of getting snow this early is in hokkaido. would be much easier if it was on honshu as i am flying into tokyo so i will have to look at the weather reports in november and make very late bookings. at the moment niseko is scheduled for late nov opening and so is kiroro. looks like most of the lifts were open in niseko the first weekend of december last year (according to their lift schedule).

will continue to pray to the weather gods!

it started snowing in October in Niseko last season. It opened on November 18th I think.

I've been there from second week December before, and it was full on.

I'm sure nobody gets my luck, so you're a week or so early.

• 2 weeks later...

Mamabear, that sounds ridiiiiculous, I'm definitely trying that dish out and booking at Secca. Why are reservations such a necessity at restaurants in Niseko? Seems suprising, guess Niseko is super popular and their aren't enough fine dining establishments to meet demand? And being there early in the season, Dec 1-6, would you recommend I lock in reservations for all nights else I risk not having a place to eat? Fairly beginner snowbaorders and totally new to Niseko so not sure what our days will be like, what time we should expect to be dining in the evening.

You can always head into Kutchen for a meal, heaps and heaps of little places to eat.

Come in off the mountain about 4pm, have a beer and a soak, eat dinner about 6pm and then if the conditions are ok go back out for a few hours night boarding, priceless!