Hi and thanks for having me, new poster here...

I'm traveling to Hokkaido for my Honeymoon December 1-6 and looking for the best place to spend the week. I know it's super early in the season and many places will have little or no snow. We've been looking at Niseko but are wondering what other areas will have a good chance at snow then? Tomamu looks like a high quality resort area to go and get spoiled at (perfect for a honeymoon) but I'm concerned there won't be any snow on the ground then there, does anyone know?

Niseko looks like the best likelihood of snow, but for a honeymoon couple that wants to chill out in a nice hotel the hotel options are suprisingly sparse. It seems like there are plenty of condos to rent but the few hotels in Hirafu are worn, cramped and 2-3 star at best; any recommendations on hotels in the area? The Hilton Niseko Village is an option but seems far away from Hirafu and it also seems not likely to have its lifts open then.

Thanks for any thoughts!!

Welcome to the forums!

Every year varies, but the beginning of December may be fairly light on snow cover almost everywhere on Hokkaido. Higher altitude areas like Asahidake will have snow, but insofar as resort areas, your guess that Niseko would have the highest chances of snow is probably about right. Oceanic and other factors will tend to bring in pricipitable moisture into the Southwestern part of Hokkaido along the Japan Sea coast, so the Niseko region is most likely to develop a deeper snow layer earlier, just so long as the ambient air temperature is consistently low enough.

Regarding the hotels, yes - the Hilton is far away from Hirafu. Not sure how the shuttle bus situation will be at that time of the year. I don't really have a good suggestion for "higher end" hotel accomodation in Hirafu, sorry!

you could always book a swanky condo - there are plenty in Hirafu, and many of them located next door to a resturant/with a shop in the basement/etc. Dont just think hotels as this restricts you in that location.

Thanks Ezorisu! Yeah, seems like a real crapshoot anywhere we go for snow but it's our honeymoon so just going to wing it! I hear you on there not being high end hotel accomadations in Hirafu, if you had to pick between low end hotel in Hirafu or staying at the Hilton which would you choose?

Thanks Mamabear...have thought about booking a condo but am loving the idea of breakfast in bed at a hotel, maid service daily, etc...do you know if any of the condos are full service or are they pretty much you just taking care of yourself while you are there?

cant speak for all of them, but they are generally take care of yourself...

I wonder if any of the high end condo's offer a higher level of service or are able to offer a higher level of service for a fee.

For example, the company we are staying through this year offers welcome packages of groceries and drinksn that you can order to be waiting for you when you arrive rather than having to hoof it down to the store on your first day. I wonder if you are able to neotiate a daily service for your apartment, and the delivery of some delectible food stuffs.

You would still have to 'do for yourself a bit', but there would be no need to hang a 'do not disturb' sign on the door or hold back because of paper thin walls.

We will be in Hirafu on the 30th Dec this year, which is our 20th wedding anniversary, so I am really looking forward to that as well. Sure beats the pants of OUR honeymoon - a 3 day weekend at our tiny flat before heading back to work on the 2nd of Jan.

Kurodake is a good bet for early season snow and Sounkyo is a very nice little village to stay with good onsens.

I'm not a big fan of Japanese hotels myself but in Sounkyo there are some nice Ryokans which are a great Japanese experience and generally include dinner served in your room and breakfast.

Breakfast in bed?

Only the Hilton will do that, I reckon.

If choosing best of Hirafu or the Hilton, I'd choose best of Hirafu.

If you want a coupla days chilling with breakfast in bed and romantic dinners, choose the Nikko JR tower in Sapporo for a coupla nights after your skiing is done.

You gonna do a dancing wedding entrance?

Have a great time.

Niseko Village's lifts will be opening on November 28 from the present plan. Other lifts in Niseko United may open around the 22nd/23rd if snow permits. There is generally enough snow to open the Niseko Gondola at this time as well as some of the chair lifts. Wonderland Chair and Hirafu's and Annupuri's top chairs will not open until later December as per usual.

All Mt. buses are operating at that time which you can ride for free with an All Mt. pass or pay for if you are using a single area pass. Hilton has shuttle buses running to major centres including Hirafu on a regular basis. Northern Resort Annupuri is another nice hotel in the region although one rank below Hilton.

Thanks everyone for thoughts! Not sure where everyone is located but it is nighttime here in LA so just got home and powered the laptop back up to see all of this great info!

Lots of great feeback on Niseko. Any insight on Tomamu? Guessing snow won't be plentiful there but they say lifts open December 1, what's the reality, usually skiing then or no? Also, looking at activities beyond the ski slopes, how does Niseko, Tomamu or other places compare with non-ski stuff to do?

Thanks again for helping out the newbie

our locations are listed.

Kutchan is stones throw from Niseko, Sapporo main city on Hoks, not sure about Fukushima (I assume on Honshu) and that squiggle on Thursdays location means he lives in Metropolis and is really Superman.

Hey LABoardrider welcome to the bible for snow junkies wave

I personally myself am a Niseko Junkie. 15 minutes to the local town for groceries and restaurants - Day trip to Moiwa, Rusutsu skiing - Otaru for shopping and then Sapporo for insane shopping. It is a very good introduction to Japan for the foreign traveller that doesn't speak japanese.

Check out this link it would be PERFECT for a honeymoon!!!! thumbsup

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/hotel/viewhotel.php?hotid=262

Looks nice.

I must get up there one day.

Are there any other ski resorts in Japan that have "swanky condos". I can't think of any. I can think of lots with empty buildings and run down pensions aplenty. Niseko really does give the impression of being in it's own world, detached from what all other Japan skijos are like.

Niseko is it's own world because most of the developers and management companies are foreign owned. Lets be honest the Japanese haven't got a single clue about marketing, providing facilities and services to the foreign market. Niseko is what it is because of the huge investment from foreigners.

Yep we don't exactly have day trippers from Tokyo up this way so the foreign market has more importance. Well important to the foreign companies and private investors who've put millions of dollars into the place at least.

If you go to Niseko, stay at the Prince Hirafu-tei and upgrade to a room with your own rotenburo (outdoor hot-spring). It's not actually outdoor, but they've converted the balconies into in-room hot spring baths, just right for two, partly open to the sky. Nothing more romantic than being in the bath with snow falling in on you at night and a good bottle of wine to hand.

Trip report & pics welcome.http://www.snowjapanforums.com/images/icons/default/grin.gif

Thanks all for the insight...booked at the Setsumon! Excited for it all! Now on to planning where to rent boards from, best place to get private lessons from and where to take the lady for good eats smile...any suggestions?!

J-Secca or was it just Secca (The resturant) is really nice. 2 yrs ago they did this awesome Risotto finished off by tossing the Risotto out of the pan into an entire slightly hollowed out wheel of parmesan at the table. It was spectacular.