oh dear, so many relevant questions and so little incentive to answer.

I would never hint or advise people what to do with their money if not paid to do so.

This conversation was going on 3 years ago. And it is still going on in the same vein. Nice.....

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: thursday
oh dear, so many relevant questions and so little incentive to answer.

I would never hint or advise people what to do with their money if not paid to do so.

This conversation was going on 3 years ago. And it is still going on in the same vein. Nice.....

And if you were paid Thursday? You would tell them to pour their life savings into a condo in Northern Japan?
I need some sort of incentive to answer that.

Generally speaking, I 'd say there is no magic formula, just use your common sense. Those without common sense are the most welcomed customers we have.

so you make a living ripping people off that dont know any better. good for you...

now, now, that's taking it to a bit of insult.

some salesman sell crap, and pride themselves that they can sell anything,

some provide a good service,

but one has to question whether the product is really necessary . IMO there are a lot of things with value added and marketed " you want this" "you gotta have it" "it's the future"

you can blame the marketing for selling the un-sellable and the sales can justify it.

People want to hear what they want to. They want to be convinced of their own follies and want to be sold. Thursday is just pointing that out.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Yep plenty of them up here who made some huge returns in the last 5 years. Just lucky I guess lol

Hold on Kimosabe, I was saying there is a lack of sophisticated investors on the forum.

Click to reveal..
... and up north..
Originally Posted By: Jynxx
but one has to question whether the product is really necessary . IMO there are a lot of things with value added and marketed " you want this" "you gotta have it" "it's the future"
you can blame the marketing for selling the un-sellable and the sales can justify it.
People want to hear what they want to. They want to be convinced of their own follies and want to be sold. Thursday is just pointing that out.

Jynxx, Mactos, no offense taken, I am just scum.
Originally Posted By: Jynxx

Jynxx, Mactos, no offense taken, I am just scum.

I can vouch for that

Well as others have pointed out previously people buy holiday homes or investment properties for various reasons and it's not always about making lots of money. Still I don't feel that the sales pitch in Niseko 'duped' a whole lot of people. I personally know many people who made small and some large fortunes buying and selling property here over the last 5 or 6 years. I know a few who were basically able to retire due to their investing here.

Whether or not there's still good investment opportunities is for those interested to decide.

Personally I'm glad the building boom has subsided for a bit, makes for a quieter summer! cheers

I think it is worth remembering "sophisticated investors" caused the GFC in the first place. Before anyone says it was mum and dad with easy credit it was the banks who supplied the easy credit packaged the debts together in bundles and sold them on to other investment groups. The only reason it didn't happen earlier is the sub prime debt laws of the 30's were removed/modified in the US during the Bush administration.

The biggest banks in the US and around the world paid top dollar for their sophisticated investors and it took unsophisticated governments to save their ass. Sophisticated investors just like most people didn't see it coming.

Originally Posted By: Gtrain
I think it is worth remembering "sophisticated investors" caused the GFC in the first place. Before anyone says it was mum and dad with easy credit it was the banks who supplied the easy credit packaged the debts together in bundles and sold them on to other investment groups. The only reason it didn't happen earlier is the sub prime debt laws of the 30's were removed/modified in the US during the Bush administration.

The biggest banks in the US and around the world paid top dollar for their sophisticated investors and it took unsophisticated governments to save their ass. Sophisticated investors just like most people didn't see it coming.

You've confused investors with institutional instruments rated by bent agencies.
Just do a search for real estate Niseko and there'll be plenty of sites come up.

Typically a good sign of where not to invest is to do look at multiple counts on hits for a location and real estate. You have the usual suspects: Gold Coast, Dubai, Miami, Vegas, Fiji. I don't want to add Hakuba and Niseko to that list!
Originally Posted By: tripitaka
No idea what you mean by that wakaranai

What do they all have in common? Plenty of guys with white shoes trying to sell you a dream.

nothing wrong with living the dream.