Things I hate doing - having to ask people to pay up!

Recently more people have basically not been paying their invoices or being very late about it. Unfortunately it's part of my job to chase them up and I hate it. Is there an easy way to get on someone's back asking them to pay. It's not as if I am in the wrong, but it's still difficult. Anyone else in the same unfortunate position (and any hot tips?!)

sadface

I'm in the same position. Sorry, no hot tips. Just today I had to remind a guy about a $3,000 debt. It's never easy to collect on debt. I've even had people say something like, "no, that can't be right" after reminding them of their debt with proof.

It is hard.

No easy way about it.

I tend to send constant reminders by mail.

Hubby has to chase up debtors and has had to write off some bad debts, and that comes straight out of our pockets - so we dont like that. Some operators are just unscrupulous and would happily bounce from supplier to supplier not paying any bills ever!!

Our procedure is to switch them to COD only (which very much interferes with thier cash flow, but stops us from throwing good money after bad. If the bill continues to be unpaid (or attempts/negotiations made to pay) then they will be "Stop Supply", and they might get a little visit from the debt collectors - but that is about 12 months down the track.

That is exactly what these people are counting on GG. People give up and walk away and they get away with it, and do it again.

I have come across people who live thier whole life like that, bouncing from one scam to another, with no remorse whatsoever.

I hate thinking I owe anyone anything!! How do they sleep?

I think they take a signifigant percentage of what is collected - maybe 50% - but if you were at the stage of writing it off, then even 50c in the dollar is a good result isnt it.

I have this problem as well in my business BUT recently had a very nice surprise!! I just got so mad with them and them not returning my calls and not answering if they saw it was my phone number I began ringing every second day on different phones and on pay phones. They got SO SICK of me calling 3 out of 4 have paid up.

Another plan is, as in my case the wives have racked up a bill and racked off, RING THE HUSBAND I also get paid pretty quick once the husbands no about it lol

What gets me is that I end up feeling awful and sick in the stomach ringing these people trying to get MY MONEY which is owed. I am getting wiser now and ask for credit card details before they open an account.

I know one fellow that owed us (and all his other suppliers) a considerable amount had shut up shop and moved out of his house - was just about ready to do a runner - Papa located him (quite by chance) at his gutted place of business grabbing a few last items - and he parked his big 4WD crossways behind the guys car (no escape) - and then went to town on him (verbally).

The guy was quite cocky until he realised his exit was blocked, and Papa is quite a decent actor, and can call a bluff like no one. He started talking to the guy about how 'no one crosses me and my family' all rather mafia-like.

He got his money. Never laid a hand on the guy. And had a huge laugh about the fact that 'his family' were his woosey wife and 4 little kids.

This particular guy had not paid his staff, and had owed money to EVERY supplier he ever used. A complete scumbag.

I hate it when people want something done 'urgently', meaning, drop everything and do it NOW otherwise THEY will loose revenue from THIER business, then once the 'urgent' job is done I have to wait for 6 weeks for payment.

veryangry

Yes - that is completely unacceptable Mantas.

You only fall for that kind of urgent request from that person once though.

And Kling Klang - he certainly wouldnt win a lookalike contest, but there are HJ-esque features about him definitely. He is not a girly-man that is for sure.