I was just breathing in the wonderful aroma of a homemade chicken and vegie soup and thinking about how womderful that particular smell is, and how it makes you feel better even before you eat it.

Comfort food.

What is yours and why?

My mother would always make chicken soup when we were ill, but I think I like it even more now that I am an adult (and I know the effort that goes in to making a good pot of chicken soup). My boys really enjoy it.

It is NOT the same if the whole bones and all chook is not used - something about cooking up chicken bones in the stock that has curative powers. I tend to add an entire bulb of garlic to my big pot of chicken soup when illness is around too.

Mine would have to be my mums (sweet and hot) rice pudding. With some home made plum jam on top. Oh yes. Actually a lot of my mums food now because I don't often get to eat it.

Pies. A local shop back in Wigan makes very probably the best pies and pasties in the world. No kidding. When I go back home, I go there on the first day back and a few more times as well.

My mother makes a brilliant hot pot / scouse as well. No-one has ever re-created the magnificence of that.

let me describe this:

fried rice with egg, roast pork, chicken, prawns.

Curry sauce onto the rice

Lettuce to wrap the curry sauced rice and stuff the bundle into mouth.

My mum's idea of snack food.

MB is your chicken soup recipe a hotly guarded secret or can you spill the beans....I love a good pot of homemade chicken soup. My mum makes some that I always thought of as being oriental because she'd put rice into it as well!! (I was young!) But i could eat that every day for the rest of my life if I had to. she doesn't mash up the vegetables but leaves them chunky, the rice soaks up a lot of the moisture so the broth is not watery..mmmmm. My granny's Scotch Broth is another winner on a cold winters day!!

If I had a cold... or want to detox

Chicken soup. Soup made out of chicken+Tomato+Garlic makes your blood flow smoother physically in your body. It is the chicken fat + garlic +tomato combined effect that makes this therapeutic effect. Never mind standardization.

Depressed...

Roast dinner

Tired and want something easy to digest...

Ocha-Zuke

or Nattoh with raw egg yellow with bit of soy and mustard with rice.

or Mash

Winter...

Sweet rice pud

or Nabe

Breakfast any time

Porridge with a bit of natural salt sprinkled on it. with/without a bit of cream or yogult

The more comfort food available, the better for me !

Just went outside to the freezer (long story but my kitchen has an industrial fridge but not freezer - so we have two upright freezers in the garage) and one of the freezers packed it in!

I have salvage 99% of the contents (mainly meat) as it was only partially defrosted. SO I am having a big cook up today. A casserole in the slow cooker already - steaks for tonight - and mince to make a shepherds pie tommorrow for starters.... wasnt my plan - but OH well!

Reminds me - need a new fridge here too. The one I have is noisy and too small. New ones might be fairly cheap now with all these Ecopoints going on must take a look

Yeah the ice is pretty cactus Thursday - draining all over the garage floor. Although there is a silver lining - no need to mop it up as it is just water and it is a concrete floor! LOL

I had a big freezer, too. The problem is the electricity company failing to supply for what ever the reason... Most likely, the possums doing the high wire thing, tree branches falling on them during storms.