I have an ever-growing collection of plants and flowers in my house - love them. There's one plant in particular that I really love. I call him Cho-kun because the deep purple petals look like butterflies. I don't know what kind of plant it is, but it looks great. He sleeps during the winter when I put him outside the genkan but the last few days he has started to wake up and I can almost see him growing day by day now. It's amazing how they can seem dead and done and then suddenly spring into life with some light and water.

clap

Anyone else with plants inside?

We've got quite a few and other plants we overwinter in the house. I'm looking to get loads more. I prefer ones you can eat to ornamentals, and dwarf citrus are my favourite. I'll stick them outside in late May. They are very fragrant when they flower, which can be throughout the year with some of them, and you can use the flowers for lemon tea. Only a tiny percent form fruit. The prettiest thing we have is a jasmine plant. That one smells great too.

Hi

A few years a go - I started a herb garden in my kitchen. You know, proper basil, mint, thyme etc as I simply missed having the fresh stuff available to me. Should start doing that again, but guess that'll have to wait until after the honeymoon - by that time probably too late. :S

At the moment, we have a yucca plant called Fed. Dunno why he's called Fred, but he isn't doing too well at the moment. The in-laws donated him to us and am trying mybest to keep alive. Any tips or advice?

Ive tried growing herbs and stuff with little success. rosemary is easy to grow, and mini-tomatoes and Basil are not too hard, but everything else seems to die instantly.

I always have dozens of plants in the house. I've got a couple of avacado trees now that started off in the superemarket. Plants (and wine) make great housewarming gifts.

Originally Posted By: bobby12
Ive tried growing herbs and stuff with little success. rosemary is easy to grow, and mini-tomatoes and Basil are not too hard, but everything else seems to die instantly.

we planted some herbs outside in the tiny bit of mud that passes as our garden, but the were eaten in a matter of days by insects, the Basil didn't see the light of day!! Rosemary is still growing strong though. If you keep them inside you have to watch the Basil as it tends to overpower everything else and grows like a weed.
Originally Posted By: Mr Wiggles
The prettiest thing we have is a jasmine plant. That one smells great too.

Sounds good that. I will inveztigate this weekend.

friend

Even though my wife has an honors degree in botany and we used to run a landscaping business we haven't got a single plant indoors. Been working on the garden outside though.

The jasmine we have is a climber so its on a little arbor thing, if thats the right word.

Indoors is warm and sheltered from wind and pests, but you're up against it with little direct light, no rain, and containers where evaporation is faster. With some plants it can be a struggle.

Well my plant I mentioned in the initial post is really coming on well. 10 times the size it was three days ago. Amazing! I should set up a camera to take photos every 15 minutes or so.