Quote:
"I've always lived life to the full, but you just don't realise how fragile life really is until you've been through something like this."

Bollocks, I know how fragile life is and I've never been through crap like that.

If you can't be responsible for yourself then don't get into that state.

But Thurs were you so self aware 20 years ago?

The lad was barely out of his teens - they have a lot of learning to do at that age, and still feel invincible and immortal. There's always some smarter/more aware - but so many are still under the mistaken impression they are superhero's.

Good lesson for him to learn without the tragic consequences.

Great work by the Doc and his wife - hope other people will be so 'in touch' as to notice and help when others are in trouble.

Plenty of people die in cold weather and it's got nothing to do with their awareness.

And drinking alcohol is exactly the opposite to that. We don't want to be aware all the time.

Maybe, Niseko bars need alcohol serving standards.

Lucky there was someone out there for him.

such binge drinking culture, too :(

Lot's of homeless die in winter for sure, and people whose power gets cut off accidentally. Winter is scary !

I had a scary experience having been very drunk and taking a nap on the side of the road near my lodge in Austria. It was a fair while before someone walked past and I was lucky too because it was a very quiet area. Don't know what would have happened if I had been out much longer. Can't believe I did it too - I was literally 30m from the door of the lodge!

People die from having a bath, onsen when they are too drunk.

for most Japanese, it's common sense not to, but maybe you may have not heard...

Also alcohol and swimming don't go well with Japanese constitution...

many ways to kill yourself while you are on alcohol...

Yes people need to be careful in the baths especially if not used to it. I know a few people who have collapsed through getting overheated (felt dizzy myself once or twice) - happily nothing a lie down and drink of water couldn't fix.