BBC iplayer from outside the UK

Does anyone know, is there a way I can view programs on the BBC Iplayer from here in Japan? I have looked into it a bit and I soon get lost in talk of proxys (or something). Seems it can be done but it might be a bit complex.

And, is it naughty? wink I only really want to watch one program next week.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By that do you mean download the programme bobby?

I tried once looking into the player but gave up. I suppose we don't have the right not paying the license fee and all.

Iplayer=10% of UK internet traffic apparently

For one special programme, a download will be much better quality. You can keep the file as well.

Aside from Iplayer, there is also a secret BBC1 high-definition live feed to the Internet, but you'd need a superfast connection and superfast proxy to watch it. Its only there for test purposes.

OK. Might someone be able to help me? All I want next week is the Jools Holland Later program. Is there an easy way to 'download' it?

friend

I'm hopeless at this kind of thing!

I was looking for the same thing so I could watch the Scottish football but I was told that even using a proxy wouldn't allow me too, dunno why. (I'm a tech moron)

I can't use the torrent sites either as it says my ports are blocked and I have no idea how to unblock my ports, I can use Limewire, but its rather crap and limited

• 7 months later...

Just signed up for a trial 10 days @ 600 yen with Identity cloaker.

Install it, set it up, choose a UK proxy and ---- BBC iplayer works!!

Going to check it out and decide whether it's worth the cash. I presume the other channel players work as well.

clap

• 10 months later...

John Smith, the chief executive of BBC Worldwide, the BBC's commercial wing, said it would open up the "under-exploited" market for UK shows, such as Top Gear and Doctor Who.

The move will mean that advertising could be introduced on to the iPlayer unless BBC Worldwide decides to charge viewers to use the service.

Executives have yet to decide which option will be introduced, but they said the Trust's decision will enable them to raise funds needed after the Government's decision to freeze the licence fee.