Relieving oneself on the side of the road (or on the Emergency Telephone Booth)

Not spent that much time in Japan but have noticed people by the side of the road taking a wee. Often in very public view. One guy was even pointing himself towards the road.

Is this generally accepted or frowned upon? Would Mr Policeman accept it?

This thread was inspired by this post:

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/ubbthread...html#Post309817

Bag, you come up with cultural stuff, don't you. I'm impressed..

Anyways, here's my opinion.

It really depends if you are drunk or not.

It is not legal to "Tachi-shonben" (translation: stand up pee) and there is a fine for it but not enforced. If you are in the city, people will find a dunny near stations, department stores, or go to Kissa-ten (coffee shops) what ever.

But, when people get drunk, it happens a lot. Japan is a bit like a Islam society that is tolerant on alcohol. (that's my opinion) And under the influence, some "Rules" are bent a bit. Except for driving under influence. In western society, it's like you can drink and drive to a point of blood alcohol level is so-and-so. In Japan, have one drink then don't drive.

So, most of them pee on the telegraph pole. haven't seen one doing it on a telephone booth, that's over the top... Lot's of Japanese can't process alcohol. You see puking on side of the road, station platforms.. happens a lot. What are people donna do." Excuse me, you can't chuck chander, here by the way, it's illegal..."

I find the historic Aussie by-laws that's still in existance quite funny and I like it.

ie) You can legally piss in the front quarter panel ( where the wheel is) coming from the days of horse carriage.

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
I find the historic Aussie by-laws that's still in existance quite funny and I like it.
ie) You can legally piss in the front quarter panel ( where the wheel is) coming from the days of horse carriage.

Not true - at least not in WA.
It is a crminal offence to pee in public in WA and it is a record that can cause a lot of grief in later years.
It appears on criminal record transcripts simply as havinga criminal conviction - no more info - do you reckon it might influence which job seeker gets the job and which traveller gets a US Visa?

No-where on the criminal record does it say - young drunk guy simply took a slash on front quarter panel and this conviction from 10 years ago should be ignored.

Gentlemen - do not teach your son's to pee on the car tyre (like papa taught out cubs) - thier mother will just need to nag that info right back out again if they are to avoid a permanant criminal record.

sheeet. Really ma'bear ?

but would you get prosecuted at court to get a criminal record, or the judge will tell the cop stop wasting his time, or just get a fine ?

WA is a big state. Nobody out there after driving out of Perth for about 40 min? No one is gonna bother looking for an non-existant outback dunny in fear of the cops, right?

So is this just in Perth and the suburbs?

It is statewide Jynxx.

I am sure it would be a rare copper who would be staked out in the bush waiting to catch you having a quick roadside break! However it is a big problem in the city and suburbs near to pubs and clubs, and they simly issue you a citation. if you plead guilty and pay the small fine you can do it by mail and never attend court - easy. problem is that record is hard to remove once it is there.

If anyone faces this problem they should attend court and ask for the record to be expunged at the time of hearing - they get the guilty verdict, pay the fine, but if the judge is having a good day the nasty does not go on your record.

one of the silly technicalities that should be overhauled at some time...

And seriously, driving back from LiveAid at Wembley, we needed a wazz badly. So stopped outside one of the gov buildings opposite the City hall and wazzed on some official looking statue. Very satisfying

done this many a time and in fact every saturday morning/afternoon, many people can be seen lined up on either side of highways and byways having a slash as they go to and from football matches. Buses are always being called upon to stop and let the passengers take a leek, even although drinking alcohol on a bus is illegal!! Not a problem in the countryside but in the town, especially near to the stadium is pretty horrible. The fans of the bigot brothers from Glasgow can often be seen peeing like their life depends on it in gardens, peoples front doorways and cars in full view of the Police and nothing seems to happen much.

Nowadays in the UK you can end up on the Sex-Offenders register for having a pee in public

I remember this last season driving in real inaka in Minakami area of Gunma. There was a junction where 2 inaka roads intersected. Anyhow this old ojisan was stood right in the middle of the junction - with his pants down - taking a pee. Quite bizarre. Had to stop and wait until he had finished and move out of the way to move on.

lol

weird... somethig out of a Japanese horror movie, cult stuff.

I think thee are lots of "lost it" people in Japan. Or "total self immersion"

Maybe it's the dark side of what Japan can do to you...