Hey wave Quiestion for some of the Niseko 'xperts.

I was just wondering, with lots of attention on the foreign visitors to Niseko, what % of total visitors would you say are actually Japanese? And are the numbers of Japanese visiting Niseko increasing or decreasing?

Thanks!

I found this graph which shows visitor numbers to Niseko (all year). It shows that visitors from outside of Hokkaido have remained fairly steady and visitors from within Hokkaido have increased. So the number of Japanese coming certainly seems to have increased. Can't tell though it that's in winter or summer. Also a large portion of the outside Hokkaido numbers will be from other parts of Japan.

tourism-breakdown-pg08_t.gif

Can't find stats that show percentage of Japanese v's foreigners in winter though.

I might be totally wrong, but someone in real estate there when we were looking at property told us that some Japanese holiday makers use Niseko as a trip to a Western Environment without the stress of leaving the country and holiday in the western style apartments during summer as a novelty. Might have been part of the sales speel, but it sounded interesting to me at the time.

I know plenty of Japanese who have moved to the area to work and live specifically because of the western environment and the opportunity to improve their english and work in a western run company (usually a very different work environment that a Japanese company). How many Japanese tourists come because of that reason I'm not really sure. I'd think many would be turned off for that reason as well.

haha that is sooo Japanese eh? Its like a Gaijin Theme Park, lets go to a foreign country......actually lets go to the Gaijin Theme Park and get the Western Experience in the comfort and safety of Japan!!!! lol

You got it TB. Yokosuka, Okinawa used to be bit like that. Tune into FEN radio, a little bit of America in Japan.

But I still think the draw of Niseko is powder and it's is relatively quick to get their by air.

Now there is bullet train everywhere but before it took a while to get anywhere and Zao was a long way. The gaijin factor is just amusement value.

You guys ever been to Hawaii?

One can get by speaking Japanese there. Lots of Japanese retire there, too.

Yeah I've been to Hawaii, it was great cos I was able to eat lots of Japanese food which I couldn't eat in the UK. Cairns in australia is like that as well, Little Tokyo, Japanese signs and food everywhere, again I loved that cos I hadn't eaten japanese food in so long!

Originally Posted By: Go Native
I know plenty of Japanese who have moved to the area to work and live specifically because of the western environment and the opportunity to improve their english and work in a western run company (usually a very different work environment that a Japanese company).

Ber there's a fair few who have left for the same reason!

I'm sure the vast majority who visit Hokkaido, do so for the lavender fields in Summer.

Posted some numbers for 2006 or something, there were 220,000 Taiwanese who visit Hokkaido annually.

From a report in 2006, figures must have increased dramatically for Aussies in 2007 and 2008

3449321120_b84bfbffcb.jpg

Quote:
Niseko is doing fairly well in attracting foreign visitors, and the increasing inflow of Australian skiers to Niseko in recent years has attracted nationwide attention, but there are also challenges. Australian tourists are heavily concentrated in Kutchan and Hirafu, and in winter, with the ratio of visitors in summer to that in winter at 1:9.

As mentioned above, the majority of foreign visitors to Niseko are from Asian countries/regions including Korea, Hong Kong and Taiwan. Part of Niseko’s success in attracting Asian visitors may be attributed to the national “Visit Japan Campaign†as well as the efforts of the region’s “East Asian Tourist Attraction Promotion Councilâ€.

I always wonder how they get these numbers.

I know of one resort nearby. Worker there when drunk once told me they basically "just guess" where people are from for their report just by looking at the car registration numbers in the car park. Highly scientific!

Thanks for the link Thursday.

Quote:
The total number of foreign visitors to the four towns in Niseko area in 2004 was 19,000 (69,000 person-days).

By nationality, Australians (5,119 person-nights: 27%), Koreans (4,274

person-nights) and Taiwanese (2,567 person-nights) formed the majority.

By town, Kutchan received 5,800 persons (55,300 person-nights), while Niseko welcomed 12,900 persons (13,800 person-nights).

Most of the visitors to Kutchan were Australian, who stayed on average 10.7 nights/person. In sharp contrast, visitors to Niseko were mostly from Taiwan, Korea and Hong Kong, and stayed on average 1.0 night/person.

Confusion arises with the use of the word Niseko.

Kutchan means Kutchan and Hirafu.

Niseko means Niseko town, which is 6km from the slopes.

At least that's my understanding of the info in the report.

Mike, look at the last page with the Aussie investors and pioneers involved. They are all involved with our playground. Hence I think they mean Niseko, Niseko United FC.

Niseko United 2, Bolton Wanderers Nil.

Hartlepool 1, Skunthorpe United 1