Re-organisation of savings and money is looking needed - what with the rubbish interest rates and also the limit of 50K if my bank goes bellyup.

So I'm hatching an idea - with property prices down and their long term inevitable rise (?), it might be a good idea to buy a nice place in one of the (nicer) evergreen UK holiday spots (Lakes, Dales, etc) and buy a property to rent out to holly-makers.

It sounds like a sound idea to me. Anyone doing anything like that?

I'm considering buying an investment house in Kutchan. For around Y10 mill I could get Y80,000 in rent per month. That's pretty good rental return. Within the next 10 years the shinkansen is meant to come through Kutchan on it's way to Sapporo. I reckon that will help push up prices in this area as Kutchan will become be a very easy commute to Sapporo.

Wow is the Shink going to get a Kutchan stop?

You might be better waiting even longer with the UK, house prices very likely haven't hit bottom yet. (I'm no expert, just been reading that in a few places).

Zopa is an option for getting better interest rates in the UK.

I wouldn't put a fortune in though. For property in the UK, big-will might be right.

On Yahoo Japan, the headline today is "Liberal Party proposes no money down gov backed fixed interest home loans". It might put a bit of pressure on the rental market. For 80,000 a month, you can borrow 20 million and get tax relief for doing so.

If they're building a Shinkansen up there it is complete madness.

I'm out in touch so I can't say much but generally traveling in Japan is expensive and a lot of people opt for KaiGai Ryoko (oversea's travel) With the stronger Yen that might be the trend even more. Shinkansen is not cheap, and depending how the airline company is doing and the oil price, flying is a better option. With less people going to Niseko maybe there is more supply than demand? Is Niseko reliant on the Oz economy? Most Japanese travel on a package deal, it's quality and cheaper. I expect more Japanese coming to Europe for snow.

Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
Re-organisation of savings and money is looking needed - what with the rubbish interest rates and also the limit of 50K if my bank goes bellyup.

So I'm hatching an idea - with property prices down and their long term inevitable rise (?), it might be a good idea to buy a nice place in one of the (nicer) evergreen UK holiday spots (Lakes, Dales, etc) and buy a property to rent out to holly-makers.

It sounds like a sound idea to me. Anyone doing anything like that?

For 50k You might get a shed.or building plot small at that.You must have been out of the UK a long time. rolleyes

Might I get something nice with my 450,000K then?

wink

The reason I mentioned 50,000 is because that is how much you are guaranteed to get back from the banks if they go bust. Hence wanting to take cash out of them.

When no one is buying and people are trying to sell - then that is a good time to buy property. Yes it will probably fall further - and the bank might fall over in the interim making the point mute.

I reckon if you are keen to buy - go for it.

We are buying ... commercial property under negotiations right now - dropped in price by more than 50% from when we wanted to buy it to expand the business 12 months ago. Sounds good that! Long term the investment is sound.

My lil bro just got his finance through yesterday for his first house also. Not borrowing to his limit, can well manage the repayments, and the owners had to sell so they capitulated on a price reduction... all good.

It is a buyers market at the moment. And your money is probably far safer in land as long as it is not inflated too much and as long as you view it as a long term investment. It does not have the desirable ease of access that shares and cash investments do, but if you are looking at long term storage then it is a good option.

Yeah, definitely long term. Depends how old you are, how long your parents and grandparents lived till, and you will get an idea of how long is long term investment for you.

Or, if you want to leave something for your kids...

Originally Posted By: thursday
GN, kutchan has a population of 15,000. Shikanzen?

It's got to go somewhere on it's route to Sapporo. It's pretty certain that Kutchan will be one of the stops.

Looks like I'm going to be buying a bar down in Hakkodate as well. Me and a couple of friends are heading down tomorrow to hopefully close the deal. We'll see how that goes cheers

We are all doing the property thing.

I too am looking into my options, fed up with seeing my savings not working for me. Haven't made any kind of decisions yet but as the UK seems set to take further dives a few months research won't hurt.